gappersim

WMP11 works on Vista

[ Edited ]
I have installed and got working my WMP11 adapter to work with Vista. I would be glad to help ya set it up.

(Mod Note: Removed non-public information. Thanks!)

Message Edited by Maximus on 01-10-2008 06:05 PM

Re: WMP11 works on Vista

Thanks for the  info
Merlyn the Magical

I have read in www.linksys.com/vista , wmp11's driver is not there....does it mean,that certain device won't work with vista?
Merlyn the Magical
gappersim

It does not mean it will not work with Vista. I have set it up & it is working fine with Vista. The drivers tha tare listed there are the only ones that Linksys has for Vista now and they are adding more soon.

Ahhh...so you were able to make your wmp11 work with vista? how'd you do that>?
Merlyn the Magical
gappersim

I shut the computer down. Installed the adapter & restarted the computer. Once restarted I put in the CD for the driver, but I did not use the autorun. I browsed the CD for the adapter setup file and set it's compatibility to Windows XP service pack 2. After that I installed the driver and set up my network. With my computer connected to the router (BEFW11S4 version 4) I set it to Wireless. After that I went into the router settings and set up my security for it ( WEP). Then I set up my adapter to work with that setting ( key & passphrase). Tested both computers security at Sheilds Up and all ports were stealth and computers were unidentifiable besides the IP address. Hope that answers your question and helps you out.

Thank you...I will tell this to my friends
Merlyn the Magical
gappersim

You're welcome and glad to be of assistance. If any help is needed I would be glad to assist and they or you can contact me as  I stated before. I don't come to the forums alot, why I posted  that info.
Nolikevista

Before I start here, I just want to thank you for the time and effort put into getting things to work with (turns and spits disgustedly on the ground) Vista.

> I shut the computer down.

Ok. So far so good. I know how to do this. Even know how to turn it back on.

> Installed the adapter & restarted the computer.

Great. We're sailing along on smooth seas. So far.

> Once restarted I put in the CD for the driver, but I did not use the
> autorun.

Ok. But what's that? A cloud on the distant horizon?

> I browsed the CD for the adapter setup file

Ok. Now I'm lost. Which file? Which directory in the cd?

> and set it's compatibility to Windows XP service pack 2.

Set what 'compatibility'? Where's it live? Who owns it? Is this a Vista thing? Where do I go to set mine?

> After that I installed the driver and set up my network.

And how did you install it? Another Vista weirdness? Right click? Who can know?

> With my computer connected to the router (BEFW11S4 version 4)

Is the type of router critical? Am I to understand that if I figure out the installation described above that I'm going to have to have a Linksys router? If so, that's very bad, 'cause I don't have one.

> I set it to Wireless. After that I went into the router settings and
> set up my security for it ( WEP). Then I set up my adapter to work
> with that setting ( key & passphrase).

How nice. But I'm still in the dark about the router. Can I just use the one I've got?

> Tested both computers

BOTH? computers? Where'd the second computer come from. Last I heard, we had one computer running Vista and a WMP11 in one of the PCI slots. Where's the other computer?

> security at Sheilds Up and all ports were stealth and computers were
> unidentifiable besides the IP address.

Again, how nice. But here I sit with a WMP11, and a Vista box that refuses to acknowledge its presence. I'm not even to square one yet.

> Hope that answers your question and helps you out.

If only it were so.

Perchance could maybe you enlighten someone as dense as myself as to the particulars inquired after, above?

That would be really swell.

Many thanks in advance.
wendilassiter

HELP. We purchased a new computer for teen. Wireless card in old computer will not work with new computer. Card is Linksys WMP11. New computer has Vista. I do not have the original CD to the card but have downloaded the software onto my external memory.  Please help.