Spacetracker

I had this unit working fine in an old computer which recently gave up the ghost. I am trying to install it into another older box without the install disk. Can't find it anywhere. I downloaded the driver package, but when it's loading the drivers, it tells me it can't install it because of the INF file being wrong. Running xp. I downloaded and unzipped the file 3 times, uninstalling and card each time, and always get the same results. Anyone have any advice? (other than buying something else!).

Carrot

Re: WMP300N

Whats the version number of the Adapter?

As you have already download the drivers for the adapter on your computer, you can follow this steps to install the drivers on your computer. Make sure you disable the firewall and antivirus on your computer.

Once you connect the adapter to your computer it should display you the message "Found New Hardware" Select the option Install it from a specific location and click Next, then select Include this location in Search and browse to the place where you have unzipped all the files and select the Driver folder and click O.k...Then click Next and it should install the adapter drivers...

NOTE : This installation doesn't install the software(Linksys Monitor)...

Once the Adapter is installed, Click on the Start button >>> Control Panel >>> Network Connections- Right click on the "Wireless Network Connection" icon and select "View Available Wireless Networks"- If you see your wireless network in the list, highlight it by 'single' clicking on it- Now click on the 'Connect' button below- If your wireless network is secured, it would ask you to provide the network key- Provide the wireless network key and confirm it again in the confirmation box and click "Connect"...It should connect to your Network and Internet...

Spacetracker

That's a good question. How can you tell what version it is? It doesn't say anywhere on the card that I can find. XP device manager refers to it as:" wmp300N #2", does this refer to the version?

I have been following your install instructions. After the drivers load for a bit, I get the error message saying the INF is wrong for this device.

Spacetracker

Went into the registry and deleted any and all reference to linksys and wmp300. This time on boot up it asked for the drivers. They installed for a couple minutes before the "illegal installation instruction from INF" popped up.

scrooge

If you are unable to install the drivers for the adapter on your computer, then you can try some other steps are, Unplug the adapter from your computer and connect it to the different PCI slot and then try to install the drivers for your adapter.

Spacetracker

Thanks, good idea. Tried two other slots, wiping the registry entry between tries, and got the same result, however.

Here is the exact failure message:

A SERVICE INSTALLATION SECTION IN THIS INF IS INVALID.

So now, I guess I'll start reading the INF, and that's alot of reading.

scrooge

Try to install this adapter on any other desktop and see if you can install it on other computer.

If you are able to install the adapter on other computer then I think the drivers are working properly.

Spacetracker

Didn't have another computer available. I did find that I had copied the original installation disk onto a back up hard drive.

I removed the card, ran the install, plugged the card in and it works fine now.

Thanks for the help.

Rick

nyjoker

same problem here, it seems the problem is with the new driver update on the support site

i reinstall the old driver that came with the retail box, and then i'm good to go.

btw i have windows 7 64bit...

julielanetahoe

How can I get a copy of the cd that came with the adapter I