Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
BobS

WMP600N Adapter & WinXP - Slow Connection - Problem Solved

Problem:  Slow connection under WinXP w/SP-3

Description: Building two new systems, one WinXP Pro 32bit only, second system dual boot with WinXP Pro and Win7 Pro x64bit.

Installed latest LinkSys drivers (as of June 2010) for wireless adapter for WinXP systems only. Win-7 x4 bit has good driver for this adapter and I suggest you stay with it for Win-7 x64.  Tested using www.speakeasy.net and nearest server to me - NY.  I have a 20Mb/s download capable link.

Under WinXP, max speed with LinkSys driver was ~5Mb/s. Under Win7, max speed was ~20Mb/s.

Over two days of chat with tech support for two cards. First time they said card was defective. Tried all manner of settings and testing with them and several hours testing this myself.  Replaced card - same test - same 5Mb/s max speed under WinXP.

Noted that the radio on the card is from RaLink Tech ( http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1 ) and downloaded their driver (2nd entry down) and the Omnipeek Tool (last entry) and loaded those - replacing the LinkSys driver.  Verify that you have changed the driver from LinkSys to Ralink under hardware device for networking cards - same place you use to update the driver.

While I was on chat with LinkSys, I told him of this driver and that this is the original vendor for the radio on their card.  He said if used, it would not be supported.  Okay with me since they have told me twice now that these cards are defective and that they have no reports on their drivers causing any problems for WinXP.  Fair enough and if you read the forums, you will also not read any statements about anyone doing any throughput / speed testing - so how would they know?

So I loaded up the driver and Ralinks software (wireless managment). Nice - informative and just enough tools and test diags to actually be really useful.  After installing, make sure you have your security settings correct and your network settings are also correct for your application.

Card now works at close to 20Mb/s under WinXP. 

This has been tested on two different computers - different hardware / configurations - no problems.  I have changed router settings / security settings to other than the recommended LinkSys settings (WEP, Mixed Mode, Ch 1, etc..) to WPA, G Mode, Ch 8 etc. and tried all sorts of wireless *valid* settings - all worked just fine.  I then tested the same router settings with Win7 x64 - no problems.  Win7 picks this card up and flies with it so I'm reluctant to change what is working solid and giving me consistent results.  Also my testing has not included distance testing but I have connected it to a repeater that is about 30' away and two floors above me.  It goes to that router and then to the main router so you loose half your speed anyway (on a repeater link) and I got 10Mb/s with that ad-hoc test.  Exactly what I expected for whatever that is worth to you.

Hope this helps someone else and if anyone has any questions, I'll try to respond.

BobS

Followup To >> WMP600N Adapter & WinXP - Slow Connection - Problem Solved

If you have a card with the Anatel name and logo on the WMP600N adapter, the Ralink drivers and utilities work just fine. Note that the above post is for 2.4Ghz "G" only. I do not have a "N" router to test with.

bradr2002

Re: Followup To >> WMP600N Adapter & WinXP - Slow Connection - Problem Solved

Hey I'm also having the same issue. 1.65 Mbps download speed and 2.6 Mbps upload speed. I'm running Windows XPSP3 32 bit on an HP Mediacenter Desktop.

Unfortunately the railink tech link in your original post has been moved or broken. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cheers,

Brad

bradr2002

Shortly after I posted I found Railink's driver download page. I dont know which one off the list I need though

http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/manufacturer/ralink.html

BobS

Brad,

Start at the top and click on each one to see which operating system each is associated with. Then try which one you think should be installed.  If it's wrong, no harm done - you can remove / uninstall the driver.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment but this "fix" was found over 2 years ago.....

BobS

ScarletJamie

@bradr2002, what's the driver version of your adapter?

BobS

Driver for:

LinkSys WMP600N

Driver Date: 1/9/2008

Ver 1.2.1.0

WinXP 32 bit OS

I cannot find that version or date on the page you posted. However, with a little searching I found this version at the following site:  http://sites.google.com/site/linksysupdateddrivers/rt2860/driver/download

I downloaded it and checked with NAV360 and it checks virus free.

The read me file tells what OS it works with and how to install.

Hope this helps. 

ScarletJamie

BobS wrote:

Driver for:

LinkSys WMP600N

Driver Date: 1/9/2008

Ver 1.2.1.0

WinXP 32 bit OS

I cannot find that version or date on the page you posted. However, with a little searching I found this version at the following site:  http://sites.google.com/site/linksysupdateddrivers/rt2860/driver/download

I downloaded it and checked with NAV360 and it checks virus free.

The read me file tells what OS it works with and how to install.

Hope this helps. 

There’s a latest driver for this adapter. I suggest manually updating the driver for this.

Product:   WMP600N
Classification:  Driver Release Notes

==========================================================================

Driver version:   3.2.7 (Windows XP)
Release date:   April 30, 2012

- Resolves an issue that caused an intermittent wireless connection drop with WPA2 Enterprise using TKIP encryption.

You can download the XP driver from Cisco site. :smileywink:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/adapters/WMP600N