chan

WPC54G will not connect to the Internet.

I just bought a Wireless Network Adapter and the driver installed fine and it connected to the access point, however, it will not connect to the Internet.  I have tried playing around with the network connections a little but to no avail.  Can someone give me some tips as to what I can do to connect to the Internet via Wireless Adapter?  Thanks.
sharkbyte

Re: WPC54G will not connect to the Internet.

Message displayed on the Linksys software "Connected to Access Point but the internet could not be found"

Possible solutions might be the following:
► change the channel to either 1 or 11
► change beacon interval (found on advanced wireless settings) to 50

Create a wireless profile on the laptop:
► open up the linksys software
► click on profiles and click on new
► name of profile will just exactly the name of your Wireless Network
► click on manual set-up
► click on specify network settings:
IP: 192.168.1.5
DG: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: given automatically
DNS1 and DNS2: can be found on the router status page
► set it to infrastructure mode and make sure SSID is set to exact wireless network name
► set the security mode to match with that of the routers
► save settings and click on connect to network

Hopefully it should now work, if the message still sticks after doing this, try accessing the internet anyway. You might be online.  Sometimes it does that. :smileyhappy:
chan

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately I still get the same message.  Any other suggestions?
chan

Updated Info:

I uninstalled the driver and took out the adapter.
Then I re-installed the driver, except this time I installed the one on the linksys.com page rather than the one given with the CD (my CD-rom drive is a bit old).

After installing and connecting and setting everything up, it said that I had successfully conneced to the access point and the Internet.  However, my CAT5 cable was still plugged in.  I unplugged my CAT5 cable and it went back to saying that I had connected with the access point but not the internet.  I also tried to disable the integrated wired adapter and the same thing occurred.  So the only time it says that I am connected to both the access point and the internet is when my integrated wired adapter is plugged in and enabled.

Does anyone have a solution to this?  Thanks.
Ruanne

click on more information button (it is under the link information page) and check if you have na ip address.
chan

Yup I got one.

It is:

Ruanne

if you're getting dns servers (under more information also) then you should be able to get online even if it still says that "you are connected to the access point but the internet could not be found"

chan

I have a DNS number but I still cannot connect to the Internet.

Something I have noticed is that I send a lot of packets, but I recieve little or none.

Just a little bit of information that might help :smileyindifferent:
Ruanne

are you using a linksys router?

it could also be that the wireless adapter is working fine it's just that the router itself is not communicating properly.
chan

Yes, my router is Linksys.

The model number is:

WRT54G ver. 2

p.s. My brother's laptop is connected to the router via integrated wireless and he has no problems.  This is so frustrating :smileysad:.  Thanks for all the help so far.