Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jax2007

WPC55AG is DEAD!.

Hello, I bought a wireless adapter WPC55AG yesterday for my Dell Inspiration 1300,OS:XP. I've have followed all installation steps and nothing!. The computer doesnt recognized the adapter. It doesnt appear on device manager. First, I set up cd instalation, turned off computer, insert adapter card and turn it on. The monitor says "wpc55ag is inactive" and the adapter-power on led is off. It's totally dead!. What I am missing?. Is the adapter or a driver is missing?. Also, I tried to uninstalled the software and it's impossible!, it doesnt disapper from the computer.
Thanks for the help.
saber_tooth

Re: WPC55AG is DEAD!.

Hi… If the adapter is working it should show the lights lit. Try connecting this adapter some other laptop and check the status of the lights. It should lit up. If it does then there is some issue with your PCMCIA slot. Try updating the drivers for PCMCIA controllers.

jnv11

[ Edited ]
The procedure depends on which OS you are using. I can give directions for Windows XP, 2000, 98, and Me.

Windows XP
  1. Uninstall the Linksys wireless monitor. Windows has a built-in monitor that is better because it can handle WPA2 with a patch, while the Linksys one has no capability for WPA2.
  2. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021/en-us, download the WPA2 patch, and install it (if you are using Windows XP with service pack 2. If you do not have service pack 2, you should install it. If service pack 3 has been released and is installed, ignore this step. It will be released in the future of the writing of this post.)
  3. Download the WPC55AG v1.3 driver for Windows 98/2000/Me/XP from http://www.linksys.com/download/. If you have an older card, do not worry about that because this driver works with the older cards and unlocks their WPA2 capabilities.
  4. Open it and expand it to the default location.
  5. Go to the Device Manager.
  6. Find the entry for your wireless card. It might be misidentified as an Ethernet card if its driver is missing. It might be filed under "Network adapters" or "Other devices".
  7. Double click on your Wi-fi card's entry.
  8. Go to the "Driver" tab.
  9. Click "Update driver".
  10. Click "No, not this time".
  11. Click "Next".
  12. Click "Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)".
  13. Choose the radio button that states "Search for the best driver in these locations".
  14. Uncheck "Search removable media (floppy, CD-ROM, ...)".
  15. Check "Include this location in the search:".
  16. Put this in the search box: "C:\Linksys Driver\WPC55AGv1.3_20050525\Drivers" (without the quotes).
  17. Click "Next".
  18. The driver will be installed.
  19. Go to the Wi-fi card's status page by going to Control Panels.
  20. Open Network Connections.
  21. Open the icon for your WPC55AG.
  22. Click the "Properties" button.
  23. Click the "Wireless Networks" tab.
  24. Make sure that "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings" is checked.
  25. Now connect to your network.

The reasons you do not want to install the Linksys wireless utility is that Windows already has one; adding another just makes one of the two turn into unused bloat; that the Windows utility can be patched to use WPA2; and that there are posts on this forum that the Linksys utility has a memory leak, or a condition in which a program forgets locations it previously asked the operating system for memory, so that memory cannot be released until the program closes, forcing the program to ask for more memory because it cannot find the memory it previously asked for and received.

Windows 98/2000/Me

Run the setup program, because these operating systems have no built-in wireless utility and need the Linksys utility to manage Wi-fi cards. Additionally, WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support must be given by the wireless utilty. This means that these operating systems' drivers most certainly cannot support WPA2, and might not support WPA.

Message Edited by jnv11 on 02-22-200702:34 PM

Message Edited by jnv11 on 02-22-200702:34 PM

jamend

What about Windows 7 installation?