Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wolfmannyc

WUSB100 PROBLEM

HI, EVERYONE.
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT WUSB100 WIRELESS USB ADAPTER, BUT IT'S NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THE VISTA HOME EDITION PROBLEM. IS THERE AN UPDATED DRIVER FOR VISTA, THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM? THANK YOU.
dibbler

Re: WUSB100 PROBLEM

Unfortunately the compatible drivers for WUSB100 with windows vista is not available ... You can check the same on http://linksys.com/vista .... I will suggest yuo to go for either WUSB54G version 4.0 or WUSB54GS version 2.0 ....
wolfmannyc

If I keep the wusb100 and switch to wusb54g driver, will it work? or am I talking gibberish?:smileyhappy:
thank you.
dibbler

Yes the WUSB54G version 4.0 will work with windwos vista .... make sure you download the updated/compatible drivers from the website ... Donot use the drivers that come with CD .... insert/plug-in the adapter ... it shows found new hardware .... use the wizard to install the downloaded drivers ...
wmontney

This sounds like it may be the solution to my problem. I just purchased a new PC (Vista Home Premium) and a WUSB100 wireless adapter. I have not been able to get the adapter to work properly. I downloaded both the WUSB54G and WUSB54GS drivers but am having a problem installing either. If I start from scratch, the scan can not find an appropriate driver. If I try to install the driver from the CD, the "update driver" reports that the best driver is already installed. Aby suggestions?
Roger2000

If you're savy in modifying inf files, you can download the vista drivers from RaLink's website ralinktech.com.  The WUSB100 uses the RaLink rt2870.sys driver.  RaLink usually has newer drivers than Linksys.  And sometimes, it is the only place you can find the driver for the adapter. I ran into this when I was running WinXP 64 bit version.   Although Linksys didn't support the 64-bit drivers, RaLink did so I was able to use the adapter with WinXP 64.  Unfortunately, the standard install from RaLink doesn't recognize the Linksys adapter.  You need to update the inf file to tell it about the adapter. After running the install from RaLink, I found the inf file in C:\Program Files\RALINK\RT2870 Wireless LAN Card\Driver. It's named rt2870.inf.  I was able to use the other sections in the file as an example to create Linksys sections.  The main thing you need to know when you begin is the DeviceId.  I was able to get this by looking in the register using the original Linksys driver.  In this case, the DeviceId looks like this:
[Linksys]
; DisplayName               Section                 DeviceID
; -----------               -------                 --------
%Linksys.DeviceDesc%        = Linksys.ndi,          USB\VID_1737&pid_0070

I'm not sure whether it works for Vista but it's the same install so it may. I wish Linksys would keep up with the drivers RaLinkTech creates.  The driver that came with the Linksys WUSB100 kept loosing the connection.  However with the new driver from RaLink, the connection appears to be more stable. RaLinkTech appears to keep up with the latest operating systems too.  I really enjoy the flexibility of the WUSB100.  I'm a big fan of Linksys. We just need better support for its drivers.
cookiefiend1228

Hi. I 've been having an issue with this adapter. I have a static ip set up for port forwarding. Every time it disconnects from the internet or is disabled, the ip changes back to "obtain an ip automatically" and "DNS is automatic" too. Is there any way to permanently set this ip, so it won't revert back to the default when the adapter is disconnected or looses signal?
Roger2000

I had a similar issue.  Have you noticed that the description of the connection changes as well?  For example, it will say "Wireless Network Connection 4" then if you disconnect, it will say "Wireless Network Connection 5". I think what is happening is that it's setting up a new connection each time the system recognizes it as new.  I installed the latest driver from RaLinkTech last night and tried unplugging the adapter, waited about 30 seconds and plugged it back in.  It remembered the old connection settings. I need to try it after rebooting to see if it still does and maybe after it's been unplugged for a day.  The version of the driver from RaLinkTech is much newer than the one from Linksys so there are quite a few fixes.  When you navigate to www.ralinktech.com, you'll get a warning in IE about their security certificate (normally you'd want to be cautious about this), I just choose to continue to the site.  Once there, go under the support section, and choose Windows.  The driver for the WUSB100 is the first USB driver (RT2870). Download and run it.  It won't recognize your adapter at first.  Go to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRVSTORE\rt2870_E....  You'll see the RT2870.inf file in that folder. Open it in Notepad.  Under the first [Ralink] section, add this line:

%GenericWLAN.DeviceDesc%    = RTWLAN.ndi,           USB\VID_1737&PID_0070

This change will get it to recognize the Linksys adapter.  Save your changes, then go into device manager.  Find you Linksys adapter under network adapters and choose "update driver".  Tell it to "Install from a specific location".  Then choose "Don't search, I'll choose".  Click "Have a disk" and point it to the folder mentioned above. It should show as "802.11 USB Wireless Lan Card".  It will warn that the driver is not digitally signed so choose continue anyway.  It should install the driver.  RaLinkTech says to uninstall the original drivers so that may make these steps easier.  The main thing is to update the [RaLink] section to recoginize the adapter.  You can even modify the inf file to make the description say Linksys but this is the minimal changes you need to make to get it working. 

Good luck.

iso a connection

Hi Roger,

It is more than a year after your post and I couldn't find the RA download.  I am not able to use the WUSB100 to connect my Vista 64-bit PC to my XP PC.  Have you found other fixes?  Thanks

Butters1234

Hey, I cant find this thread anywhere, do you guys know a website where i can get WinXP pro x64 drivers for the WUSB100 adapter? A link to the Ralink one would be nice, couldn't find it threre