neikoh

WUSB11 drivers don't work in Windows 7

When I plug the device into my PC, Windows 7 sees it and installs softwre, yet the device doesn't work.

After uninstalling the Windows 7 drivers, I use the driver downloaded from Linksys. Still wont work...

Please advise.

Ricewind

Re: WUSB11 drivers don't work in Windows 7

WUSB11 is not compatible with Windows 7 OS.  You need to get WUSB54GC , WUSB100 or WUSB600N. These are the adapters which are compatible with Windows 7.
dpoet19

The link below has my wireless adapter.  If it's not yours, check the website for yours.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB11/download

Select your version and download the driver software.  It should be on the left side.  Save it on your computer. Once you have the device plugged into your computer, you need to go to device manager.  Under device manager there should be a tab for unknown device.  That is the linksys.  If it doesn't showup, try another usb port until it shows up.  Right click the unknown device and click upgrade driver. Hit browse and selects the 'drivers' folder from what you download on the linksys website. Voila. It worked like a charm for me.  I'm glad I didn't have to buy another wireless adapter.

Good luck

Sean1021

Dpoet, I don't understand how it would have worked for you if the WUSB11 isnt compatible with windows 7?

I have the WUSB11v4 and i did exactly what what you had said and the linsys support site doesnt have a windows 7 driver for it. When i browsed for drivers i had WINXP. I double and triple checked by repeating the process and it just doesnt work. SOO, im pretty sure the linksys support page doesnt have any windows 7 drivers for the WUSB11.

jbfd

I too was very skeptical that I could get my WUSB11 ver 2.5 to work in Windows 7.

I downloaded from : http://www.linksysbycisco.com/CA/en/support/WUSB11/download  the Version 4.0 that links to driver 08/27/2004

Ver.3.110.0513.2004

I unzipped the downloaded file to a folder in my hard drive.  Then I plugged in the USB11 wireless network adapter to my USB connector and of course Windows 7 couldn't configure the unknown device.

Then I opened up the Device Manager and updated the driver of the unknown device from the folder containing the unzipped files. Windows7 recognized the unknown device as my USB11 ver2.5 . Then I was able to connect to my wireless network by searching for available wireless networks. It connected no problem and is working great.

srengorn

I also have a WUSB11 adapter and followingt thse instructions worked like a charm.  My only clarifification is to select the driver from the "Drivers" folder and not the folder from WinXP.  Thank you so much.

elad58

Some of these individuals must lead charmed lives as I have tried every driver available and every install variation mentioned, with no results. Just not worth the frustration!

zipped

elad58 - My frustrations exactly spend several days wondering why my Vista machine stopped working with my WUSB11 ver 2.6 device.   Did a full Windows 7 install to "fix" the problem and no dice - says the device is there working properly, but the network connection wizard says the device is disconnected.  All attempts to repair, diagnose went down the tubes.   Followed the thread and found the download link to the WUSB11 Ver 4.0 driver.    Installing it in the Linksys Drivers folder noticed a ver 4.0 and a version 2.6 folder.   Right clicked the device in the device manager, went to driver, tried to update driver, manually selected the folder and it says "Windows has the updated driver already" and it still didn't work.   Here is the trick that worked for me:    Right Click the wireless device in the device manager - Click Update Drivere - DO NOT CLICK SEARCH AUTOMATICALLY, Click on the Browse my computer for diver software - on the next screen DO NOT click the browse button and find the folder - it will tell you windows has the current driver - I selected "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" - Then click on Have Disk - then find the Linksys Drivers folder, then selection your version 2.6 or 4.0 (mine was 2.6) - it installed a newer version with an older date - and miracles of miracles it WORKED!   Found my two wireless routers, typed in my WEP key and I was in.   Banged my head for a long time and it finally worked.   Maybe try these steps - worked for me.  My driver says 2.10.37.2037 dated 11/12/2001 - which is a later version and and earlier date (odd) than the one Windows 7 automatically finds.

ahanu

[ Edited ]

elad58 - My frustrations exactly spend several days wondering why my Vista machine stopped working with my WUSB11 ver 2.6 device.   Did a full Windows 7 install to "fix" the problem and no dice - says the device is there working properly, but the network connection wizard says the device is disconnected.  All attempts to repair, diagnose went down the tubes.   Followed the thread and found the download link to the WUSB11 Ver 4.0 driver.    Installing it in the Linksys Drivers folder noticed a ver 4.0 and a version 2.6 folder.   Right clicked the device in the device manager, went to driver, tried to update driver, manually selected the folder and it says "Windows has the updated driver already" and it still didn't work.   Here is the trick that worked for me:    Right Click the wireless device in the device manager - Click Update Drivere - DO NOT CLICK SEARCH AUTOMATICALLY, Click on the Browse my computer for diver software - on the next screen DO NOT click the browse button and find the folder - it will tell you windows has the current driver - I selected "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" - Then click on Have Disk - then find the Linksys Drivers folder, then selection your version 2.6 or 4.0 (mine was 2.6) - it installed a newer version with an older date - and miracles of miracles it WORKED!   Found my two wireless routers, typed in my WEP key and I was in.   Banged my head for a long time and it finally worked.   Maybe try these steps - worked for me.  My driver says 2.10.37.2037 dated 11/12/2001 - which is a later version and and earlier date (odd) than the one Windows 7 automatically finds.

This DOES work. The only thing I had to to get it going beyond what's described here was to disable the ethernet adapter, and play around with the network settings, i.e. home. work, public. It took me about 30 minutes. Best of luck to all who traverse this treacherous bridge. One thing of note is that the the 'puter is looking for an .inf file. Just follow your nose. Mine didn't have any version designation (I have 2.6).

steved11

[ Edited ]

I may have found why the driver works for some and not for others. For me the driver only worked in Windows 7 32-bit. When I tried to install it onto a 64-bit Win7 system, the OS wouldn't even acknowledge the files as drivers.