jmaes12345
Accepted Solution

WUSB300N Connection trouble

I recently bought a WAG160N, and have got it working with multiple computers using their internal adapters. However, I have not been able to get it to connect properly to my personal computer (Vista x64 SP1) which is using the WUSB300N adapter. It finds the network, but when I try to connect it tells me that the network is "Unidentified" and there is no internet connection.

I am assuming that the connection trouble is therefore due to a problem with the adapter or my computer. I have tried reinstalling the driver using the latest one available online and this has not solved the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Wizzard

Re: WUSB300N Connection trouble

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Use admin for both Username Password...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on save settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select AES...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...
jmaes12345

I changed all the settings to what you suggested and my computer finally started finding the network, but it still wasn't connecting to the internet, so I changed the SSID to "linksys1" and unplugged then plugged in the adapter and it found the network. I then typed in my passkey and it's worked! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for all your help!

MikeRuddy

I bought a WUSB300n to use with my WRT150n router. In my Desktop Dell windows Xp system the unit worked fine except for the monitoring software conflicting with my Norton Internet security and Windows xp network monitoring so I eliminated the linksys monitoring sofware and used only the drivers. Everything worked fine and the system indicated 270 mbps. My Windows Vista HP 6700 Laptop apparently does not have the proper dual band adapter for attaining higher than 54 mbps but the connection to the network was no problem. The problem came with my son's Dell Windows 7 system when I attempted to install a second WUSB300n adapter to connect to my home network. The software wouldn't load correctly and during the process the WUSB300n installed automatically with windows "found device" wizard. I tried everything I could think of including deleting the linksys completely out of the registry and reinstalling several times over. Finally, on a tip from someone else having the same problem, I went to Windows Update Catalog and surprisingly it recommended installing an earlier version of the driver than that which came with the product. For Windows 7 Client and Vista, Microsoft's recommendations was: version 1.0.0.4 dated 1/19/2007 size: 179KB [for 32bit Win7] and so I installed it after cleaning my system of all remnants of the other version drivers and the software that came with the WUSB300n adapter. After installing the older drivers package from Microsoft Update Catqlog using the Device Manager to insure the new drivers from Microsoft were what got installed I was able to sign on to the network. It is surprising that Linksys doesn't have a coherent process for upgrading the drivers to Win7. Based on my internet searching it appears that there are a lot of angry people with linksys WUSB300n's out there. The quirky Linksys version update process and lack of a new driver for Windows 7 can't help them. Another interesting issue was that Windows 7 can't see an Xp computer and it was necessary to put a Microsoft fix into my Dell Windows Xp system to allow my Dell Windows 7 system to see the Xp computer using the Windows network monitoring process. Norton was able to see the computers once I straightened out the adapter problem but that didn't help as far as sharing files on the network until the fix was installed.

Mike in TN 

Expert
kent07

amlevine

I am getting the unidentified network error as well.  When I got to 192.168.1.1, I enter admine for username and password, but I get an authorization error.  Please help - I have spent HOURS trying to get this working, and I'm feeling like a failure!

MikeRuddy

[ Edited ]

The generic login is as follows 

The  user ID box should be blank or LINKSYS

The generic password for the unit should be admin without the 'e'

Here is some help

http://www.orbit-computer-solutions.com/How-to-Install-and-Configure-your-Wireless-Router-or-Access-...

mike

amlevine

Hi Mike - thanks for the reply.  So, "admine" was a typo.  However, I was able to get to the configuration utility by using admin as the username, and my security key as the password.  I changed from "WiFi" to "manual" configuration, made the changes listed above (exept Radio Band - didn't see this anywhere), saved my settings, but I am still getting "unidentified network".  Windows Network Diagnostics says "cannot communicate with DNS server".  I think it might be something with the security, but, not sure.  Question - after I make the changes, do I have to power off the router to pick them up? 

When I do an ipconfig /renew, I get "an error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network connection: unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out".  Any help is much appreciated...thanks.

MikeRuddy

I must warn you I am not a technician only a user. The changes you apply to the router through the LINKSYS Admin should be immediate after you enter them as far as I know. Without being able to picture exactly what your status is and not understanding what you have done to date, the statements I make should be not be taken as authoritive. I do not understand the "Wifi to Manual" and actually I now have a 600n Router now. I don't think your windows ipconfig/renew will be able to operate until the router is recognized by Windows as I believe the router does the DHCP IP assignments and your windows system accepts the IP Address from the router. The IP's can be renewed on the router but if windows cant see the router it wont matter.

One approach is to hook your Internet Modem [Cable Modem] directly with an ethernet calble to the computer to verify you are receiving the internet from your ISP. This can give you the confidence to troubleshoot the routing issue. If you have installed a wireless adapter it is usually important to have installed the adapter drivers BEFORE you install the adapter. If any anything gets out of order in the software and hardware installation process, sometimes it is easier to remove all drivers and software and begin again.

Sorry not to be of more help.

amlevine

Again, thanks for the response.  You may not be a technician, but you are knowledgeable.  I did hook the computer up directly to the modem, and initially it didn't work.  My cable company troubleshooted this with me, and I needed to go to the connection properties (for both Local Area Connection, and Wireless Connection) and uncheck the "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then, ensure the Internet Protocol Version 4 properties were set to obtain an IP address automatically, and obtain DNS server address automatically.  I'm using a laptop, with an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter.  At one point, I connected the router to the computer with an ethernet cable, and then my Local Area connection came back as "unidentified network".  I suspect there is a compatibility issue between the network card on the laptop and the router.  3 other laptops in my house connect without any issues - Windows XP and Windows 7 work, but the one laptop with Windows Vista has this issue.  I connected the bad laptop to the modem and installed the latest Vista service pack (3), and this included the latest network adapters.  This took several hours, and, it didn't resolve the issue (but I least I have some software currency...trying to be optimistic). 

When I called Cisco, they said they could definitely fix the problem, but I'd have to pay $29.00 because the router is not under warranty.  I bought it back in January, but didn't open it until earlier this week - my bad, I suppose,.  They told me I could find the solution on their forum, or, pay them and they would guarantee the fix for 2 weeks (and then what???). 

At this point I'm just being stubborn...If they can fix it, I should be able to as well.  The "Wi fi" thing I was referring to - if I type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar of my browser, then 'admin' for username, and then the password for the router, it takes me to site that allows me to update the settings for the router.  The default configuration was WiFi, but I changed it to "manual" - following the instructions above from "Wizzard" - at least to the extent I could follow the instructions - I think the interface has changed since that entry was made.  However, the problem persisted.  I saw in one of your earlier posts that you changed the SSID to "linksys1" - I wonder if that would work...but I don't understand why it would...

If I get it to work I will let you know - and thanks again for the responses - at the very least you're helping me articulate what I've done...I think I have to be close!!!