Highlighted

WUSB300N & Vista: How to get/install Marvell driver

I recently replaced my entire Netgear G network with a Linksys N network, and I see that lots of peeps are having the same problems with the WUSB300N that I am having. I read through most of the threads here regarding various solutions. I've had some success in fixing some of these problems with the Marvell driver that is mentioned in several threads; however, the instructions and links for obtaining this driver do not work, and there are no clear instructions for getting it that I could find here.

So, here's how you do it for Vista. I have an XP machine as well with the same adapter on it, but haven't addressed that one yet.

Problems fixed after switching to the Marvell driver:

1. Dropouts/stutters when streaming audio or video playing on Vista from networked file server are gone. Everything plays flawlessly.
  2. Subjective impressions: Throughput seems noticably better, more stable (I haven't had the connection lock up and have to reset the adapter to get it back yet, like with the stock driver), and seems to connect and resolve DHCP faster on startup.

How do you get this driver on Vista? Very simple, through Windows Update:

1. Click Start:Control Panel:Windows Update
  2. Click the "View available updates" hyperlink in the app window
  3. In the "Windows Vista" section, you should see an optional update for the "Marvel - Networking - Wireless-N USB Network Adapter"... select this update (checkbox to left)
  4. Click "Install"
  5. After installation, reboot
  6. Check driver: right-click "My Computer" on desktop, select "properties"; select "Device Manager" link; expand "Network Adapters" in device tree; look for "Wireless-N USB Network Adapter" (might be followed by a "#n" where n=some number); double click on adapter entry to get properties page; click on "driver" tab; should see Manufacturer="Marvel", date=5/11/2007, version=1.0.1.5

That's it! I don't know if this driver is even available on XP... trying to fix that machine is my next step.

Re: WUSB300N & Vista: How to get/install Marvell driver

Windows XP update: Same driver (although slightly different version) is there in Windows Update optional updates for XP as well.

The XP UI for WinUp is web-based, and the steps different to find it. I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader. If you really get stuck and just absolutely can't find it for XP, post and I'll write up some instructions.

Same improvement results on XP as on Vista. Besides fixing the stuttering problem, everything seems faster and snappier. For example, on a PC->PC large file copy, I used to get between 1-4 Mbps on my G network (router is downstairs, computers upstairs).

With the new N network and Linksys drivers, was getting 10-13 Mbps between the two machines, with instability. With Marvell driver on both machines, I get 17-20Mbps, very stable.

Love to hear other's experiences with this driver.

I still don't get how to find a driver for XP. I searched whole **bleep**e but no luck... Smiley Sad Could u give me a lil more details? The stutter and boot problem is killing me already.

Thank you for your test.
I also got the same problems with WUSB300N.
Use windows update. .. Is that the only way to get the new driver?

do you know some other website that we can download it?

I saw linksys already updated the drivers for PCI and laptop version. only left this usb version with old driver. dont know why. 

Same question for me.

I tried to get the Marvell driver via Windows (Vista) Update but there is no such driver.

Thank You

Worked like a charm. Some quick testing of streaming video from cnn.com ran nice and smooth with no problems.

Same here!
No driver was found from Vista Window update...

Hi,visit Microsoft Update Catalog and and put USB\VID_13B1&PID_0029 in to search field

Many many thanks

I bought an XPS 435MT a month ago, sound distortion problem, many calls to a call centre in India, computer replaced, same problem, stumbled on this page 2 hours ago, I could scarcely believe the solution, there was the optional download as described. Sound now perfect.

So thanks again to a very sound person wishing you the best.