Stand
Accepted Solution

WUSB54G Auto Connect solution?

[ Edited ]

My WUSB54G WLAN Monitor V2.0 fails to connect about 70% of the time after booting in XP. I have been looking for a solution to this for at least a year now and have tried removing, installing, reinstalling, downloading drivers etc. etc. But it still fails intermittently.

After intially booting, the WLAN Monitor shows in the task bar and there is no connection; i.e., it is not "green". If I double click it and bring up the monitor none of the local sites show, the refresh button and the connect buttons are opaque and do not function. Under the Profiles tab non of my profiles show.

If I start Net Stumbler the Monitor immediately finds my network and turns green. It also finds all the other local networks floating around. The default profile is also visible under the Profiles tab.

I can also get the monitor to find my network by unplugging the usb cable and replugging it into the WUSB54G.

Once connected to my network I have no further problems. There are no error indications. 

This maybe a WLAN Monitor v2.0 problem not a WUSB54G problem?

Regards,

Stan

Message Edited by Stand on 04-17-2009 08:54 AM
ridcully

Re: WUSB54G Auto Connect solution?

Don't use the WLAN Monitor, as you have Windows XP you can use it's default Wireless Program called "WZC"...

Download the adapter drivers from here

Once you have downloaded the drivers you need to unzip the file...After you unzip the file you should un-install the adapter drivers/software from Programs menu...Leave the adapter connected to the PC and reboot your computer...Once the computer is rebooted you should see a message "Found new Hardware"...Select the option Install it from a specific location and click Next, then select Include this location in Search and browse to the place where you have unzipped all the files and select the Driver folder and click O.k...Then click Next and it should install the adapter drivers...

NOTE : This installation doesn't install the software(Linksys Monitor)...

Once the Adapter is installed, Click on the Start button >>> Control Panel >>> Network Connections- Right click on the "Wireless Network Connection" icon and select "View Available Wireless Networks"- If you see your wireless network in the list, highlight it by 'single' clicking on it- Now click on the 'Connect' button below- If your wireless network is secured, it would ask you to provide the network key- Provide the wireless network key and confirm it again in the confirmation box and click "Connect"

Stand

Hi, Thanks for the response. There must be a trick to un-install step ("un-install the adapter drivers/software from Programs menu...") because when I follow the instructions everything works as you describe until I get to the "view available networks" step.  XP responds with, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this connection use that program."

Which leads me to believe that I haven't properly un-installed the Linksys Monitor. If I go to NetStumbler it finds other networks even though the Wireless network Connection says "not connected".

If I go to the unzipped location and do the Linksys install it re-installs the Monitor and I have a connection as before. I have tried to un-install via the windows add remove programs and by using the setup.exe in the utility folder.

What is the correct procedure to remove the Linksys drivers and monitor?

Thanks again,

Stan

Stand

[ Edited ]

OK,

I got it working with the XP Network Connection. What I had to do was after  un-installing the Linksys drivers/monitor,  go to Start-->Run-->%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, Then click on "Wireless Zero Configuration" and change the startup type to "Auto" (it was set to manual). Then re-boot and follow the directions suggested.

After that the Wireless Zero Configuration started and found the various wireless networks broadcasting locally. It actually found and partially connected to my WEP network, but never asked for the key. So I had to disconnect and re-connect to enter the WEP key. After that it all appears to be working and auto starting my connection on boot.

Thanks

Stan

Message Edited by Stand on 04-19-2009 10:52 AM
Bianco

I haven't installed the new hardware, but every one I know that has this router and adapters are having problems.

Why isn't some kind of information sent to inform us of this change?  Or was it, but we weren't registered so didn't receive informaion and other notifications?  I'm not sure if my husband registered. 

Also, I read where WEP is no longer secure.  You must have WPA .... Is this for this model also, I was reading a forum regarding a different model.

I am able to connect by going to Wireless Zero Config and click on Start then Restart at times, and also change the setting from Manual to Auto, but it switches back so I have to connect this way each time.  I'll follow steps in the above message and see how bad I can mess this up.