Zeratul_1

WUSB54G and Windows 7

Hello.  I recently built a computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) and am having trouble connecting my WUSB54G adapter.  I'm assuming I need certain drivers to make it work.  If so, where can I find these drivers and how do I install them?  I'm also hoping I don't need the install CD as I don't know where it is at the moment.  Any help would be appreciated.
Zeratul_1

Re: WUSB54G and Windows 7

Since I can't seem to find the edit button, I'll just add this here.  The adapter is version 2 (WUSB54Gv2).
forsaken

The adapter is not compatible with Windows 7. May be i think you need to buy a New adapter which is compatible with Windows 7. WUSB600N will work with Windows 7.
gush01

Hey I have the same adapter and version. It will work fine in the 32bit version but in the 64bit it will not work. Ridiculous I know.
MateoDiego

I have the same adaptor upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.  I am having no joy with installing the drivers. What did you do to get it to work? 
MateoDiego

This device works fine with Windows 7 on 32 and 64 bit systems.  It toook me a bit but I am successfully using a WUSB54GS Version 1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.  Others have posted the same results with other versions of Windows 7 and these devices. 

Do not run the driver install from the CD or download install package on your Windows 7 system.  This will not work.  Here is the solution. Go to the LinkSYS support page and download the latest appropriate driver set for your particular device.  Copy it to somewhere on the Windows 7 system and uncompress the files using WinZip or some other Zip extraction tool.  Go to "Devices and Printers" within the control panel.  Navigate through the properties of the devices “Hardware” tab to manually update the driver.  From the “Update Driver” page select “Browse my computer for driver software” and direct it to the directory containing the driver files.  Let Windows 7 do the rest.  I have seen that some posters said they directed Windows 7 to use the files on the install CD. 

I hope this helps.

helaos17

I have tried multiple ways to install the drivers (downloading them and placing them in the C drive) with the 64 bit version but nothing works! It seems like I will have to pay up to get a new adapter which hopefullly will work with my old router.....this seriously sucks!!
Expert
sabretooth

I agree!  Thanks Microsoft again for not making your software compatible.
grobmort

I am having the same problem with a version 4 adapter... If i connect the actual router to the computer will it work?
Sjors-ZA

Finaly my WUSB54G works under Windows 7

My WUSB54G V4 is working under Windows 7 (32 works 64 I don’t know).

Solution what I used was surfing to http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php and select RT2500USB as the chip in the WUSB54G is from ralinktech.

Install the .exe on Windows 7 and it works as before.

Oke it would be better to use a Linksys driver, but as Linksys is not willing to help, we as users have to find a solution to keep using the expensive hardware we have.

Greetings Sjors