NH818
Accepted Solution

WUSB54G v2 - Problem with Linksys Wireless Network Monitor Software

I own a Linksys Wireless USB Adpater (WUSB54Gv2) that is currently being used with an old HP Desktop running Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I also own a Linksys Wireless PCI Adpater (WMP54Gv4.1) that is currently being used with an old Dell Desktop running Windows XP.

I have a home network that is both wired and wireless... My broadband ISP is Verizon FIOS; I am using their supplied router seeing as the coaxial cable that supplies the internet connection plugs only into their wireless router, not into a modem and then into a router. I have a 128-bit WEP encryption key on the wireless side of the network; this is managed again through the Verizon FIOS router via web browser (like most routers).

The two other computers I own are an up-to-date custom built desktop with a direct connection to the Verizon router and an Apple Laptop. These two computers are NOT having internet connectivity issues.

I have updated to the newest drivers for both my USB adapter and the PCI car.

---

Here is my problem:

When I try to connect to the internet using the Wireless Network Monitor software provided by Linksys, for either computer, I can connect to the "access point" but not the internet. This occurs only when I have the 128-bit WEP in place, not when the security is disabled.

If I right click the Wireless Network Monitor icon in the taskbar and select "Use Windows XP Wireless Configuration," input my network info through windows manually (including the WEP key), I can connect to the internet perfectly fine.

However, when I restart and/or shut down either PC, the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor software re-enables itself, where it automatically attempts to connect to the internet, but fails, whereupon I right-click the monitor icon again and select "Use Windows XP..." and then I connect to the internet.

Is there anyway to disable the Linksys Monitor software permanently WITHOUT uninstalling the drivers or the software? (I tried this; Windows could not use or recognize the network adapter).

---

I could simply re-enable the Windows XP Wireless Configuration every single time I shut down/restart, but the other PC users in my network (my family) are exceptionally computer/network illiterate and would not be able to learn to do this every time they want to login. It's very impractical.

If there is a way to resolve this situation, please help! Hopefully there are other solutions as well; I am open to suggestions.

I should note that our Apple Laptop connects just fine when the WEP key is put in.

Once again, looking for some quick help!

Thank you ahead of time!

ridcully

Re: WUSB54G v2 - Problem with Linksys Wireless Network Monitor Software

Remove the Linksys Adapter and un-install the Linksys Software from Programs menu...To re-install the Drivers insert the Linksys Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive, When the Welcome screen appears click Exit, connect your USB adapter now...When the Hardware Update Wizard window appears, click Install the software automatically (Recommended) then click Next...Click Finish when the installation is complete...

NOTE: The Hardware Installation screen may appear indicating that the Adapter has not passed Windows Logo testing. Ignore the window and click Continue Anyway to proceed with the installation since the Adapter has been tested and found to work with Windows XP.When Windows has finished installing the driver, click Finish.

Click on Start and goto Control Panel and double click on Network Connections...Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks"- If you see your wireless network in the list, highlight it by 'single' clicking on it- Now click on the 'Connect' button below- If your wireless network is secured, it would ask you to provide the network key- Provide the wireless network key and confirm it again in the confirmation box and click "Connect".It should work...
NH818

I had to use google to look up the article on Microsoft support to enable the Wireless Zero Configuration service, and of course enable that.

But... besides enabling that service I followed your instructions and they have worked successfully.

Thank you very much!

---

I have one more question...

I do not have a disk for my Wireless PCI adapter but I can download the drivers from the Linksys support site put them on, say, a USB flash drive (which I have done). 

My question is... If put these on a disk and use the same instructions for the PCI adapter, will it work? Or will I need to somehow get an actual Linksys disk?

Thanks again.

clickshop

[ Edited ]

thanku! the Wireless Zero Configuration service worked for me too!

(Mod Note: Removed advertisement link.)
Message Edited by daikunzeon on 09-26-2009 10:20 AM
deanlyjoshef

[ Edited ]

Signal strength excellent means only that your computer is talking to the router. It doesn't necessarily mean that the router is connected to the internet. That's where your problem may lie. (Two or maybe three prongs on the fork!) DSL? Unplug the modem. Power it down. Unplug the router from the modem. Power it down. Plug in the phone line to the router. Power it up. Wait 10 seconds or so for it to connect. See lights? Power on the router. Hook up the cable from the modem to the router. All the lights okay again? NOW try.

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Message Edited by kent07 on 10-27-2009 10:28 PM
qkp000

I have uninstalled the Linksys Monitoring software,

disconnected the WUSB54G from the pc,

inserted the disk with the software (which I made after downloading from the support site),

EXIT when the wizard comes up,

plug the WUSB54G back in,

wait for XP to find new hardware,

chosen Install software automatically

It never finds the drivers, the power light never goes green... I have tried manually picking the location, manually choosing the files, it NEVER installs the drivers.

I have 2 pc's with XP Home edition with the same issue. I can plug the device into my Vista pc and it downloads the drivers automatically and the power light goes green, so I don't think I have a bad device.

I have checked the Wireless Zero Configuration.

When I did have the monitoring software installed, it never associated with the access point.

patricksnead24

Hi,

I have also problem with linksys wireless network monitor software. will you guide me ?

Thanks,

ash_seth

this solves the problem :manhappy:
TJ1436

Hi. What solved your problem?

Thank you...

qkp000

I bought this http://www.slingbox.com/go/slt, Ethernet over the power wiring in the house. Problem solved.