siverlingb
Accepted Solution

WUSB54GC Windows XP Professional compatibility

So I bought the WUSB54GC wireless adapter today.  My computer's OS is Windows XP Professional.  Whenever I load the disk and click "Start Setup" a window pops up that says "This version of Windows in not supported."  Does anybody know if there's a way to fix this with a driver or something?
great_white

Re: WUSB54GC Windows XP Professional compatibility

You don't have to install the Linksys Monitor/Software in Windows XP, you just need to install the Drivers...

Remove the Linksys Adapter...To install the Drivers insert the Linksys Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive, When the Welcome screen appears click Exit, connect your USB adapter now...When the  Hardware Update Wizard window appears, click Install the software automatically (Recommended) then click Next.

NOTE: The Hardware Installation screen may appear indicating that the Adapter has not passed Windows Logo testing. Ignore the window and click Continue Anyway to proceed with the installation since the Adapter has been tested and found to work with Windows XP.When Windows has finished installing the driver, click Finish.

Click on Start and goto Control Panel and double click on Network Connections...Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks"- If you see your wireless network in the list, highlight it by 'single' clicking on it- Now click on the 'Connect' button below- If your wireless network is secured, it would ask you to provide the network key- Provide the wireless network key and confirm it again in the confirmation box and click "Connect".It should work...

siverlingb

Okay.  I called the Linksys Tech Support line this morning, and a guy walked me through it and we got it installed.  However, the computer recognized it as a LAN connection instead of a wireless one.  So I just now uninstalled it and did what you recommended, and now it's recognized as a wireless adapter, but it won't pick up the router, which is in the room directly below it.  Our laptop picks it up just fine though.  Do you know what to do about that?
great_white

Well as you have already Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Adapter software on your Computer. It must have Installed the "Linksys WLAN Monitor" on your Computer. You will find it in the System Tray a Green Color Icon. So you need to right click on it and Selecte "Use Windows XP Configuration" and click Yes.

Again in the System try you will find "Wireless Network Connection" icon, So Right click on it and select "View Available Wireless Network" and under Choose a Wireless Network you will find your Wireless network name (SSID) select your network, if prompted input your security key and click on Connect. Now check if you are able to Browse Internet on your computer. 

siverlingb

I did some toying around with it today, and I seem to have gotten it to work.  I went online with the desktop that has the router, and saved the installer for Windows XP SP2 to my thumbdrive.  Then I installed that on my computer, installed the software for the wireless adapter, and connected it to the router.  Everything seems to be working, so I hope I did everything right.  Thank you for your help great_white, I would not have gotten it to work without your initial post.
jt.reeds

I'm having some very serious issues in the installation of 2 CISCO products on a XP/Pro Version2/SP2 desktop that I hope someone can assist me in resolving..  The first item is installation of a WVC80N-Wireless/N camera and the Monitoring Utility that supports viewing/configs on the camera(s)..  I run the install from CD, all actions complete 100% up to the point:  Install the Monitoring Utility.. When I invoke that action,  Screen goes black and the system performs a Reboot.. No error messages of any kind, just a Reboot. Have downloaded the Utility from this website and exactly same result.. Goes black/Reboots...  To make this more confusing, I have a second desktop with XP/Home Version2/SP2, and the entire application works 100%. All functions work AOK, access of camera from a website, access of camera from Network Magic and launch of Monitoring Utility from the desktop icon..  The only real difference between the desktop w/XP-Pro and desktop w/XP-Home is the amount of RAM.. The XP/Pro system has 1gb and the XP/Home system has 512mb.

The second issue, on the same desktop  running XP/Pro, is install of a Wireless Network Adapter (WUSB600N)..  I can get into the install utility to about the 2-3 pages of config, then system crashes..  Goes into a Microsoft application that is dumping memory.. Referes to driver that maybe causing problems. suggestions to  Disable BIOS memory for caching and/or shadowing and to use Safe Mode to try to recover.. System did try to save 2 files and send to Microsoft, but system crashed before I could reaccess Internet to send files.. One file was something like  MINI010710-01.dmp and SYSDATA.XML..

I suspect that now with the action of system to dump memory and a reference to a bad driver.. that maybe both these issues are Memory related..  I cannot see how a bad driver could crash XP/Pro and at sametime run 100% on a XP/Home..

Any ideas or suggestions on how to try to support fixing these items would be greatly appreciated..

wa8whp

When I boot the computer with xp pro the usb wireless adapter goes to an open weak network and not our very strong secured network. It is just an annoyance to re-configure each time we use the computer.
Robert A. Higgins

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help installing WUSB adapter on IBM PC with XP Professional OS !

R A Higgins

(Mod Note: Email address removed.)

Message Edited by iamgiantherockstar on 01-23-2010 01:54 PM
LIMON

GRACIAS POR EL FAVOR ME SIRVIO DEMACIADO

LIMON

GRACIAS

siverlingb wrote:
So I bought the WUSB54GC wireless adapter today.  My computer's OS is Windows XP Professional.  Whenever I load the disk and click "Start Setup" a window pops up that says "This version of Windows in not supported."  Does anybody know if there's a way to fix this with a driver or something?