donsnet

WUSB54g working with Windows 7 32-bit

I wanted to respond to a message I read earlier today about solving one of the problems with the WUSB54G and WUSB54GC adapters, but haven't found it and I think this information needs to be shared widely.  Like a lot of us, the user who found the solution had tried a lot of suggestions with no success.  What worked for him--and for me--was changing the settings in the Wireless Network Connection  Properties dialog for the adapter, reached through the Network and Sharing Center.  Apparently the default settings include firewall links (mine had both Comodo and Sunbelt).  Step by step, I uninstalled the adapter, disabled my firewall, rebooted the system, and plugged in the adaptor.  This time Windows installed it properly, and the adapter connected as it should.  It has been running over a half hour now with my firewall set back to normal, and speed tests are giving me better results than I had with the same adapter under Win XP (I do have a new router).  It's been over a month since I installed Win 7, and for the first time I'm running wirelessly!   FWI, the adapter seems to be running with the old 2005 driver.  I have a WUSB54GC, but haven't taken the time to try to make it work, but probably will at some point.

I don't expect this will solve all the problems with the adapters, but it should help some users.  And thanks to the original poster.

peanuts

Re: WUSB54g working with Windows 7 32-bit

WUSB54G is not compatible with Windows7...However if you have WUSb54GC v3 then,it will work with Windows7.
donsnet

Peanuts wrote:  "WUSB54G is not compatible with Windows7...However if you have WUSb54GC v3 then,it will work with Windows7. "

The label on the adapter (the one with the little box with a movable antenna and a long USB cable) says it is a WUSB54G v.4; the disc that came with it says the same thing.  The system information on my machine says it is running Windows 7 32-bit.  I don't know what to tell you, but that's how it is.  My WUSB54GC v.3 (the one like a flash drive) at this moment is on my desk; I just pulled it out of the drawer.  Maybe it's magic?  :-)

I'm sure if I took the time I could configure the GC to work equally well, but why bother if the G is working?  I can use the GC on my wife's laptop.  AAR the solution should work for some of the people who are struggling to get these adapters to work on Win 7.

gush01

WUSB54G v2 works under windows 7 32bit but not 64bit. I have it currently setup on 1 computer.
timtex

[ Edited ]

From what I've read the WUSB54G only works with 32-bit systems.  I'm still trying to use mine with Vista.  The problem we're having is that if we turn everything off and then turn it back on the next day, the adapter is disabled and you have to go through a bunch of ponderous steps (enable it, scan for hardware changes, reinstall the latest driver for unknown device, then connect to the network).  Everything is fine until the next day.  I've seen posts from a few years ago where people had the same problem, but no resolution.  Does it have something with the lease expiring?  The only thing that might be good about all this is that I know more than I did a few days ago, but frankly it's more than I needed or wanted to know. 

(Mod note: Edited post for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 01-20-2010 12:36 PM
timtex

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to put this out there in case someone needs it.  I believe the problem is with Windows Update (Vista).  I went into System and Maintenance through Control Panel and then to Advanced System Settings.  Click on Hardware tab and Windows Update Drivers Setting, then click "Never check for updated driver when I connect a device."  Otherwise, when it does check, it will screw things up all over again.  Of course, now my Norton is giving me a red exclamation mark because I don't have automatic updates for this, but that's a lot easier to live with.  We were so fed up with this problem a few months ago that we punched a hole in the wall and switched to Ethernet.  I've only been able to go wireless again after running around in circles for hours and hours trying to figure out what was causing the problem. 

(Mod note: Edited post for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 01-20-2010 12:35 PM
psikofunkster

The other way around mate WUSB54GC IS compatible with windows 7 (32 bits)....V3 is NOT.
timtex

Um...okay, thanks.  All I know is I have the WUSB54G v. 4 and Vista Home Premium, and it works now since I turned off the driver updates.  I'll have to manage that on my own, but it didn't seemed to happen a lot for me anyway.  And now I would just like to say China, Germany (1939), Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Libya and Linksys forums.

invaderzboy

where can i download the driver of WUSB54g for Windows 7 32 bit?

panzies4panties

If you have version 4 and above, Check this thread. Some confirmed that the ralink driver posted works with WIN7 32bit.

Do some googling as well regarding the ralink drivers.

Do post back for the results.