barney1995

Re: WUSB600N v.2 Windows 7 64 bit problem

Yes, the 32 bit system was completely updated.  Ran windows update again just to make sure.  Seems to work fine.

By the way, I notice that you also run an X58 / i7 system.  The tech support at Edimax thought the problem might be a motherboard issue. (Had exactly the same symptoms with the Edimax device so I presume the same underlying cause).  A motherboard issue seems unlikely to me but the chip set + W764 are common elements in your setup and mine.  The 32 bit W7 set up on which it works fine is a 3 year old Sony Vaio Media Center pc running a Core 2 Duo (Conroe).

PteJack

Hi Barney,

There was something about Intel X(something) chipsets that I had read in the other thread as well and that Microsoft had released a KB update to address the issue.  I had found the KB article, read, downloaded the update and applied it.  No luck.  As for the motherboard, there was a BIOS update available for my board.  I flashed it yesterday and attempted the install.  No luck with that either.  (I did regain control over my built in 15 in 1 card reader though). 

Too bad Linksys has not included the animated smiley of a smiley pulling its hair out and it's a good thing I'm too old to worry about hair growing back in. 

What is really ticking me off about this whole affair is that people are saying they have their adapters working properly.  It makes me think I'm the problem and missing some simple step. 

For example you have your's working in a 32bit environment, but I cannot get mine to work.  It almost sounds like some kind of firewall switch.  But like you, I've tried this with firewalls and AV turn on and off. 

We have something else in common here though, I'm using Kaspersky 2010 Internet Security (but firewall is not enabled. I use the Windows firewall along with the firewall from my router)  With that said, are you running Kaspersky on the 32bit system?

Commonalities may get us somewhere.

Thanks again

PteJack

"It'll be different and easier than Vista, Trust me!!!"

"It'll be different and easier than XP, Trust me!!!"

"It'll be different and easier than Millenium, Trust me!!!"

"It'll be different and easier than Windows 3.1, Trust me!!!"

"Let's go back to DOS 3.2" 

PteJack Is a Windows7 Guinea Pig
PteJack

BARNEY!!!!

Dude!!!! You are a Genius!!!!!  As I said commonalities may get us somewhere!!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Here's the fix!!!

Kaspersky adds a protocol to the network adapter's Wireless Connections Properties (Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter)

Goto Change Adapter Settings

Select the WUSB600N and right click

Select Properties 

Find the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter and check the option so that it is off and commit the change by clicking OK.

Go back to the Change Adapter Setting in the Network and Sharing function and enable the Wireless Network Connection

The WUSB600N driver will add a Microsoft Vitrual WiFi Miniport adapter connection as well

Enable the wireless connection (you can enable the WiFi as well if you think you need it)

Go back to Network and Settings

You may have to reset your Wireless Network Connection to whatever you're connecting to through the Manage Wireless Networks  

After you have connected to the Network go back to Change Adapter Settings and select the properties of the Adapter again, check the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter back on and commit the change.  (Do the same for the WiFi adapter)

Reboot..... 

Since the reboot I am getting a throughput of anywhere between 162 - 216 MBPS 2 stories up and on the opposite side of the house from where the router is located on a WPA2 Personal - AES connection.

I hope this helps you get connected!!!! 

(Many thank to George at Kaspersky who was there for me on a public holiday, who pointed me to the fix and to Ric from the other thread for inspiring the drive in me to figure this out )

Linksys, DLINK and Microsoft Up your nose, there is nothing more determined than a USER with a problem!!!

In the immortal words of TRON - POWER TO THE USER!!!!!

barney1995

Wow, congrats.  Your procedure fixed mine and all's now working perfectly.  Who'd have thought Kaspersky would be the culprit?  A couple of posters on other threads suggested not just turning off the firewall but uninstalling AV/firewall software.  But being too lazy for that I just quit the app in my system tray, thinking this would be enough.  Guess I should have followed their advice, which would have got my wifi working, though without pinpointing the exact cause of the problem.  Disabling the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter fixed it and I was able to re-enable it once wifi was working.

Personally, I think it's appalling that Kaspersky 2010 should cause such a headache when installing a new wireless adapter, especially when the fix is so straightforward.  They must surely be aware of the problem and you'd have thought the least they could do would be to alert users or release an update to fix it.  The wifi device vendors must also surely be aware of the problem given that Kaspersky is not uncommon.  Needless to say, my 32-bit system on which I never had a problem isn't running Kaspersky.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.  Btw do you know if there's a way to tell if the adapter is connecting a) using the 5GHz and b) simultaneously using 5GHz and 2.4 GHz?  The ability to do the latter was the main thing that sold me this particular adapter.

Thanks and well done.

PteJack

Bloody excellent, glad I could help.

George at Kaspersky almost had me do an uninstall, but at the last moment he typed, oh, try this first. So I don't think the issue is up there in their top ten. As for DLink, Linksys and Microsoft ...  how do you type "shrugging shoulders, eyes crossed and tounge stuck out making a phhhhhfffttt sound?"

It's difficult getting past level 1 support these days, everyone wants to hang on to their job.

As for your second question, the only way I know of (without researching) seeing what is on what band is to access the router and look at the status page.  On my DLink DIR-825 it's the wireless option on the Status page. 

You have to remember that the stick automatically seek congestion then selects the least congested band.  For me I doubt it will ever hit the 5gig band.  I only have 3 computers and a Wii connected and they are never "all" full out at any given time.

The connection rate is the same on either band so I really don't think it matters, the router and cards/adapter just have 2 different freqs to talk on.  In my house I have phones on 2.4 and 6GHz.  I also have radio control equipment that talk on 2.4, so if the freq becomes cluttered, the router has somewhere else to go.  There are also 3 or 4 other home network routers out there in my area that can clutter the 2.4 freq that I can see.  Thankfully the user are using secure set up, but they don't turn off the ssid broadcast. (tsk tsk) 

Anyway, I'm glad I could help.  I've posted the fix in the other thread as well.  Kudos friend.

PteJack

A Windows7 Guinea Pig who won a kibble treat - Yeaaaahhhh!

barney1995

Thanks - my problem and original reason for getting this adapter was that 2.4GHz spectrum is very congested in my area (centre of Hong Kong).  Performance can be quite poor.  I have now solved this problem by changing my router to operate in 5GHz only.  The signal is now considerably cleaner and performance far superior to previously.  Higher frequency generally means shorter range of course but I'm now getting a huge net improvement in signal quality.  Until my neighbours start using 5GHz of course!
helm

Hi braney,It's Good to know that your issue has been resolved now...Enjoy :smileyhappy:
PteJack

Hey Barney,

Yes, you can disable the 2.4 band and connect just by 5Ghz, the only problem with this is if you have adapters that will join your network only at 2.4GHz. They won't find the router. I can only imagine the the type of congestion you would have in Hong Kong.  Sheesh, every apartment with its own router! 

Again, glad I could help you, all the best for 2010 and good luck..  I guess I should have added Happy (Chinese) New Year as well :smileyhappy:

PteJack   

Vainqueur

hello

i guess i'm experiencing the same problem you guys got, i read you guys

solved it by changing a setting what works with Kaspersky but what if i dont run kasperky ?

you guys got suggestions, i'm hopeless right now (tried everything you guys said in the other posts)

greet Vainq

PteJack

Hello Vainq,

Sorry for the tardy response.

I guess the questions are "What is your exact problem, what operating system, what NA (network adapter), what anti-virus program and what are you trying to do?"

Post a report of the steps you've taken to install whatever it is you're trying to install and what type of error or conditions you are running into. 

What type of system are you running, if win7 what version and bit type (32 or 64bit), what type of motherboard; that kind of thing helps as well.

I have an active feed link to this topic and will see ewhen you post your reply.  Hopefully I can help you.

Pte Jack

(a Windows7 wannabe helpful)