Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jcboice

Windows 7 Driver for Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 PCI Adapter Model No VMP54G Wireless Monitor

I installed Windows 7 on my HP Pavillion assuming I could re-download a driver for my Linksys Wireless Adaptor Card ... discouvering that was not a good move :smileyhappy:

Does anyone know a short cut/trick for getting a Windows 7 Driver for Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 PCI Adapter Model No VMP54G Wireless Monitor?  Please help :smileyhappy:

castor

Re: Windows 7 Driver for Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 PCI Adapter Model No VMP54G Wireless Monitor

There is no drivers available in the Linksys/Cisco website for the WMP54...

But still you try the following steps:

~~ Click on Start button ---> All Programs ---> Accessories ---> Command prompt. A window will come up.

~~ In the command prompt window type “devmgmt.msc”. Device manager window will pop up and right click on the adapter listed under 'Network Adapter' and click on update driver automatically.

Check whether this helps you..

jcboice

Re: Windows 7 Driver for Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 PCI Adapter Model No VMP54G Wireless Monitor

Man I really, really appreciate your repsonse - thank you!

So understand you are dealing with a bit of a novice ... I have learned a ton the last 6 months but still have a long ways to go :smileywink:

I followed your instruction to the "T" and everyworked until the last part ... per your last instructions; "Device manager window will pop up and right click on the adapter listed under 'Network Adapter' and click on update driver automatically."

The listed devide was 'NVIDIA nForce Network Controller" and the only option resembling your suggested was to "Update Driver Software ..." and when I did that I got this box promt "The best software for your device is already installed."

Just for trying something else, I also right clikced on the "Network Adaptors" and right clickd and chose "Scan for hardware Changes" and when I did that I got a box prompt "Device driver software was not successfully installed"?

Do you or anyone have another ideas for suggestions?  

I am feeling really dumb that I did not check and verify that there was a new updated driver for Windows 7 before I did the reformat.  I just assumed something would be out there.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks and Cheers!

JCB

castor

Unfortunately there is no other way to download/update the drivers. I believe you need to go for a different adaptor which is compatible with Win7.

musicmanohyeah

Hello,

You can uninstall the drivers and the Wireless Monitor.  Then reboot your computer. 

All you need to do is install the drivers [inf. file]. Choose "Install from a specific location".

kawal

^yup. by this, you'd just be using Window's wireless configuration utility. but the setup would be a bit "manual" and you may not be able to utilize the adapter's capabilities. other wireless functions may be limited.

carterlee7

John Reggie B: Hello don zheng. My name is John Reggie.
John Reggie B: Welcome to Linksys Live Chat. Is this your first time to contact Linksys or do you already have a case number?
You: VMP54G Wireless
You: VMP54G Wireless
John Reggie B: Can you explain more about the issue?
You: why dont u create a driver for my Linksys Wireless Adaptor Card VMP54G
You: For win 7 and win8
You: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=1e7d850c5b4a487abdf02...
John Reggie B: Are you referring to the WMP54G wireless adapter?
You: YES
You: because I paid for it
John Reggie B: I'm afraid that it is a product limitation of the adapter. The WMP54G is only compatible with Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP.
You: so why dont u guys create drivers for a so good adapter
You: Have used it for many years and its still working fine
You: why do u company do so?
John Reggie B: It is a product limitation of the adapter itsef.
John Reggie B: We have newer adapters that runs with Windows 7 and Windows 8. But the WMP54G itself is not compatible with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.
You: so it was cradted only for Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP?
John Reggie B: Yes. It is only compatible with Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP.
John Reggie B: Would there be anything else that I can help you with?
You: Thats bad!
You: Cus I have Win8 now, u adapter is wasted
John Reggie B: If you are looking for newer adapter, we have newer models available. Would you like me to check for an adapter that runs on Windows 8?
You: which wireless adapter do u recommend? and why cant u write new drivers for Win 7 and 8?
You: Do I have a chioice?
John Reggie B: We do not have information since it is not within our Department that creates the driver.
You: But u work in Linksys
John Reggie B: For Windows 8, we have the AE6000 and the WUSB6300.
John Reggie B: By design, those are the only adapters that will run with Windows 8.
You: so they dont run for Win 7 or XP?
You: dont u have something allround?
John Reggie B: The AE6000 and the WUSB6300 are backwards compatible with Windows 7 and XP SP3. But those are the only two adapter that will run with Windows 8.
John Reggie B: Would there be anything else that I can help you with?
You: u are sucking money from Buyers, by not develope drivers for Win7 and 8 for u products!!! not right!
John Reggie B: We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you Don. As for the WMP54G, it is not compatible with Windows 8. But if you are interested on purchasing an adapter for Windows 8, we have the AE6000 and the WUSB6300.

Saffronfs7

That usually happens to devices in EOL(End-Of-Life). They are no longer sold nor manufactured by the company that is why there are no longer any updates (drivers). I would also recommend that you upgrade your wireless adapter since the adapter still runs Wireless G. 

carterlee7

Wireless G is fine for me. That one costed very much when I bought it at Win XP time.

Andot0526

[ Edited ]

We all have our fair share of investments when it comes to technology, but apparently it’s moving too fast. With all of these new products, features, and capabilities coming out one after the other, we’ll just have to keep up or be left out. My old adapter was working fine, but because of the speed it’s capable to receive, I needed to change it with a new one.