pgrubbs

passphrase and WEP key 1

Hi, I don't know where to find my passphrase and WEP key 1 to enter into WEP key needed for connection. Please help
toomanydonuts

Re: passphrase and WEP key 1

You do not need the passphrase.  You need the WEP key 1.

Look in your router, in the "Wireless" settings.  Look for the place where you set the encryption to "WEP"  --  the "key 1" will be nearby.

Please feel free to read spec'd and or data sheet.. thanks!
" hate wireless but I don't know why wireless likes me"
teripandah

can someone explain how you "look into your router"? im very bad with computers so can you explain the steps to do that?
Time

[ Edited ]
Well, the steps really depend on which router you're using. With Linksys routers, you typically do this:

1. Open your web browser.
2. Type "192.168.1.1" (without quotation marks) into the address bar.
3. If an "Authentication Required" dialog box appears, leave the "user name" field blank and type in "admin" (again, without quotation marks) as the password.

Once you do this, you should arrive at the configuration page and see a tab entitled "Wireless" near the top of the page. If you still can't get to the configuration page, let us know what the model number of your router is (you can find the model no. on either the device itself or its packaging).

Message Edited by Time on 06-09-200707:32 PM

teripandah

The password admin won't work. I'm not sure what model number it is... here are some random numbers on the back of my router: WGR614 v4 and/or 00095BCAC288... are these it? Thank you so much for your help.
Time

The WGR614 is actually made by Netgear. I think they print the default username and password on the bottom of the device, but I'm not sure...anyway, according to the WGR614's support page, the default username is always "admin" and the password is always "password" or "1234" (without quotation marks, of course).

Also, I think you might want to visit the support page for the WGR614 yourself. Copy and paste this URL to your address bar:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v4.asp

Once you're there, click the "How to configure Wireless Security (WEP/WPA/Access list)?" link; it should provide the steps required to set/change your security settings.

Hope this helps!
shellyrenae03@hotmail.com

I have a Linksys router and I'm having trouble with this issue. Although with my problem, It won't even let me get past the passphrase step to even try to open my web brower and type the "192.168.1.1" into the address bar.

Any suggestions?