Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nysebull
Accepted Solution

Can Valet be set as an access point only?

I am on ATT U-verse and have to use their router but would like to have an "N" access point.  Can the new Valet be set as an access point only i.e. disable the Router and DHCP functions?

affinitized

Re: Can Valet be set as an access point only?

Technically yes, but if you do want to configure it that way you will not be able to configure it using the software, would have to be a manual configuration...

I would recommend the following:

1. Reset the Valet to defaults (hold the reset button for about 10 seconds then release)

2. Plug a single PC into the Valet

3. Access the UI at 192.168.1.1 (if reset the password will be admin)

4. Go to the wireless tab and configure your SSID and Security settings 

- Remember for 802.11n speeds you need to use WPA2 personal security only, anything else will not give you peak   speeds

5. Save the wireless settings.

6. Go to basic settings and change the IP address to something different I suggest 192.168.1.2 (if using another Linksys or Cisco device this will help prevent conflicts when you connect your networks together)

7. Save Settings

8. Close the Browser and reopen, access the UI at the new address 192.168.1.2 (or whatever you chose)

9. On the basic settings page disable the DHCP server and click save.

10. unplug your PC from the Valet and connect the Valet to your existing network (use one of the LAN numbered ports to connect NOT the INTERNET port) 

11. Once you have the LAN ports on the Valet connected to the LAN ports on your existing router, you should be able to pull DHCP from the primary router when connected wirelessly and surf the net...

Enjoy!

fenderae99

I tried to change the IP address and it says setting successful. You will be redirected back to the page in seconds. But it never redirects me. I will close out and then 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 are both unavailable and I have to reset my router. Any suggestions?

chrisv25

I would also like to use the valet in bridged mode, is it possible? Thanks!

JOHNDOE_06

No. The router doesn't have bridging capability..

cybrbrad

RE: Can Valet be set as an access point only?

I  tried the abovve settings, but my wireless devices pull 192.168.1.2 as default gateway. It needs to pull 1.1   Ant ideas??

neverrmmind

Re: RE: Can Valet be set as an access point only?

Were you able to solve this issue?

I'm also dissatisfied with the wireless performance on the 2wire, and want to add an access point (NOT a router) to my network.

archie44

Do you know if the "guest" feature will still function properly in this mode (where the Valet is basically an access point)?

thanks.

Mil
Mil

Hi,

i'm try to add a wireless router "cisco Valet" to a business network, but it seems that everything that i had try don't work.

1. can i connected to a  24 port switch?

and how can i do this, i'm going crazy.

Please, please help

tvalencheck

I'm not convinced that it can be used as an access point... Maybe I'm missing something but every time I set the Valet to a IP address other than 1.1 and turn off it's DHCP server it doesn't seem like it's letting my local server hand out IP an addresses to anything connected to the Valet. Any help would be appreciated