Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
carl43m
Accepted Solution

How to change internet providers

I have previously set up the valet with my dsl internet provider and everything worked fine.  I am switching internet providers in a couple of days to a cable cmpany.  I am unsure of the steps to follow.  Do I just unplug the old dsl modem from valet and plug in the connection from the cable modem?  will the valet just reconfigure itself to a cable connection and keep my old username,password and ssid? Or do I have to redo a setup?  If a new setu s needed I don't think I can just insert the Easy Key as it has the old configuration data on it.  How would I do the new setup?  Also, the first time I set up I wanted to use my printer as a shared network printer--but not have it connected to my pc and using the shared network protocols.  I plugged the printer directlyinto the router but I forgot the instructins that were given me at the time for adding this device.  There seems to be instructions for adding a wireless printer but not for just running a hard wire connection into the valet.  I tried asking by email to valet support with a case # from someone who helped me before but noone evergot back to me. Any asistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Wizzard

Re: How to change internet providers

If you are changing the internet service provider from DSL to Cable then in that case you need to uninstall the existing Cisco Connect Software from the computer...Reset the Router and power cycle the network..

Make the following connectivity Modem ----> Router -----> Computer... Then install the Cisco Connect Software... It will help you in configuring the Router...

If you want to provide the old SSID and Password for your wireless then you can set those up as well...

As far as making the printer as a shared network printer it depends upon the operating system running on your computer... Let me know which operating system that you are running on the computers.

carl43m

Thank you.  One other question--would it be possible to just connect the cabvle modem into the valet and do a power recycle without doing a reset?  Would that enable me keeping the old ssid and password  or is the reset and rerunning of the cisco connect software required first?

carl43m

the new internet provider is here so I am going to disconnect the old modem and do the hard reset.  I have downloaded the cisco connect software as an agent told me I can't just use the easy key to launch the connect software as it has the old configuration data on it.  My printer is a Cannon non-wireless .  Currently it is plugged into one of the ports on  the valet and works fine for sharing but I cannot remember if I had to do anything special back when I first connected it over a year ago.  I do not have it running into my pc with windows 7 , I just have it plugged straight into the valet.  That way anyone who is a guest in my house can use the printer once theyare given guest access to the router.

carl43m

I followed your instructions and everything worked just fine.  I left my printer hooked to the valet evan as I redid setup and it is working too.  Thanks for the help.

R0
R0

windows 7

Rosemary
Expert
asortatoritale

dixygal

I read the info about changing internet providers from dsl to cable. I need to know how to uninstall the existing connect software and access the new connect software.  I don't see anything pertaining to Cisco in my list of programs on the uninstall page. Also, how do I reset the router and configure it?

Administrator
24JUAN80

Check this link.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=9bc5abea4f64416c98131709c07329cb_21471.xml&pid=94&...

What is your router model? There is usually a reset button either at the back or below the unit. You need a pin of sort to push the recessed button.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pepper324

I have lost the cd that came with the router during a move, I am trying to install it and while I have downloaded the cisco connect online, I still seem to keep having problems getting this router installed for my cable internet on my desktop computer.  I am getting frustrated and would love to figure out how to get this router intstalled so I can start using my laptop again.  Thank you.