mmedeast

Slow internet after wireless

If I run speed tests without any wireless machines attached I am at 6800 kb/s (normal range for me). As soon as I have a wireless machine on the network I drop to 2500 kb/s (all machines, wired or wireless). I changed to the Valet because my old router died. While I was on that wireless I consistently ran at 6800 kb/s or higher.

I've lowered my MTU to 1300. I also manually set a channel for the wireless machines (channel 1).

The problem still isn't fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marshall

saber_tooth

Re: Slow internet after wireless

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Click on the Wireless tab-Click on Advanced Wireless Settings - Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

affinitized

I have noticed similar slow downs on other routers... If you have G adapters or 802.11n adapters try changing the security mode to only use WPA2 not the WPA / WPA2 mixed mode that is on by default.

mmedeast

I still have not resolved this issue. My internet speed is significantly reduced. When I plug my desktop straight into my modem I can generate download speeds over 8600 kb/s consistently. As soon as I have your router online and a wireless connection hits it I drop to 2500 kb/s. I have checked and everything on my network is "G", I have no "B" connections. I set the router to G only and this did not resolve the problem. I also changed teh beacon interval to 75, changed the fragmentation threshold to 2304 and the RTS threshold to 2304. No change. Also changed it to WPA2 only, not mixed. No change.

saber_tooth

Try to upgrade/reflash the router's firmware.You can download the firmware from linksys website.After upgrading/reflashing the router's firmware,reset the router for 25 seconds,power cycle the router and re-configure the router from scratch.

photom8kr

I'm having the exact same problem.  My internet speed is so slow with the Valet Plus attached that request time out. I had to disconnect the valet in order to connect to this web site.

terry12s

I received a Cisco Valet Plus (M20) through and warranty model exchange because of many router issues.  Once I got my Valet up and running I had very slow wireless & wired speeds through the router.  I called tech support and they told me to turn off  the "safe web surfing" feature in the Cisco Connect software.  Once I did that my internet speeds were back to normal.  I also played around with the "parental controls" option and once I enabled it my internet speeds slowed down drastically again.  So the bottom line is to make sure you don't have "safe web surfing enabled" or "parental controls" set up.  Once those are turned off you may even have to reset the router because I had to do that a couple times.  But eventually you can get can things working correctly.

yllena gabriel

Hi .. turn on the safe web surfing

staraven

Which is it?

Turn Safe Web Surfing ON? or OFF?

Why? What does this feature really do?

dmilrtime

OK, so if the whole reason for purchasing this particular router is for the parental controls yet the recommendation is for parental controls to be turned off to improve performance, then why should I keep my M20?

I have had it setup for a couple of days now and everyone on the network has been compalining about performance.  I see it on my laptop (wireless G), the Kids PC (Wireless G), kids laptop (wireless G) and my wifes PC (wired to router).  Internet provider is comcast at 24mbps and the previous D-Link (that died which is why I replaced it) was awesome speeds.

I have teenage kids so the parental controls and safe web browsing are important features and along with the Cisco name where huge selling points. 

I have checked and I have the latest available FW version installed already so I don't see that as an option.  Any word on what Cisco is offering for a solution?

Thanks for any tips.