Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
adpbeeker

Valet Plus Slow Internet Speed

I have had my Valet for about a month now and I am about to go back to my old setup.  I purchased the unit to provide some internet filtering for my childrens computers however apparantly turning that feature on slows the router to a crawl...even for those computers not being filtered.  I installed the new firmware, however after about an hour of uptime the Internet once again slowed to a crawl.  My only fix is to reboot the router before I intend to get on the Internet so I can enjoy an hour of fast Internet access.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there any other fix besides removing safe Internet browsing and Parental Controls (my main reason for purchasing the device?)

binky

Re: Valet Plus Slow Internet Speed

As you have upgraded the router's firmware,I would suggest you to reset the router,power cycle it and re-configure the router from scratch.

MongoSchwartz

I have had this problem as well...  Installing Valet Plus appeared to be a snap, and I even got my Wii to recognize the unit and connect to it.

However, shortly after install , accessing the Internet via both the Plus (on laptop) and via ethernet link (on desktop) was sllllooooowwwwww--it made dialup look fast.  I even called my ISP to make sure everything was OK on their end.  We did a quick test and download and upload speeds were as they should be.

Called Cisco Customer Service, who basically told me to do things I'd already done (like reboot the router, cable modem, computer), and hitting the red reset button.    Eventually (and I know not why) things improved to "normal" cable modem speed.

This morning, I booted up my desktop and same problem.  I then hooked my desktop directly to the cable modem itself via my ethernet cord.  Fast as could be.  Hooked it back up to Valet (after restarting modem), back to a screeching halt. 

I again shut everything down, desktop, modem, and Valet.  Cranked it all back up *again*--this time starting the laptop as well (which has the Cisco software on it)--and this time it worked effortlessly.

Very frustrating.  If this inconsistency keeps up, Valet Plus is headed back to Staples for a refund.

Dhill

I am having the EXACT same problem! Did you ever figure it out/ solve it, or give up? Thanks.

philster301

My Valet Plus will slow down on my laptop and simultaneouosly run perfectly on my wife's laptop.  Other times her's will near stop and mine will work perfectly.  In either case the "Connect to a Network" window shows 5 green bars and says I'm connected with limited access - or something like that. 

Could the problem be that the software installed on the laptops is glitchy?

Bear WesMontague

I have the same problem as well. I ran a speed test and was getting about 17 mb/s. then updated the firmware on the router. now it's at 6 mb/s. finally reset everything and back to normal. BUT my laptops on the network run SUPER slow and say they are connected to "linksys 3 & 4" but the connection is Ruby Shark. but that name does not appear on the list to connect to. so either I can have a slower connection on all of them, or a super fast connection on just my pc and not on the laptops. I wish I didn't upgrade the firmware(forgot to back it up). any help??

andrew655

[ Edited ]

I have almost the EXACT same problem... setup my valet plus router easy... but now it seems as though my internet speed fluctuates from fast... to no internet whatsoever... anybody else??  Bear in mind, I have comcast digital cable and I am extremely close to the router

Perhaps this is a firmware issue or a bug, anybody have a solution?  I've noticed that my cable modem activity light is constantly "active", whereas with my old router it would blink frequently...

I'm no expert, but I've worked with wireless networks enough to know that something is wrong on cisco's end...

ceedee

t + Re: Valet Plus Slow Internet Speed

Same problem here. I installed Valet + yesterday, and all was well. Later, though, some pages would not load at all, and most were very slow. I think I may have to take mine back as well.

andrew655

Perhaps cisco will iron out this bug with a firmware update?

I really like this router otherwise.

adpbeeker

Update from my original post...

Under threat of sleeping on couch from my wife, I had to remove the Valet from the network and revert back to my 2621 Router, 3560 switch and 1100 AP that the Valet replaced.  Much to my dismay the old gear worked far better from a speed perspective than the Valet.  I am waiting for the next firmware release to place the Valet back in service.  I fear that if Cisco does not fix this problem my wife will hammer it to pieces and hang it from out house in effigy.