dmilrtime

Re: Valet Plus Slow Internet Speed

I am in the same situation as you apbkeeper, my wife wants to huck this thing in the trash if I don't figure out the issues soon.

trysta

Hi- I just purchased the Valet Plus as a result of great reviews on cnet. I was also frustrated with the extremely slow internet, as it reminded me of the old dial-up days! I contacted Cisco live help- and they recommended going to Valet settings and disabling the safe web surfing. It actually worked! Hope this helps!

valettoslow

I just purchased the Valet M10 and it is very slow.  My desktop operates at 100Mbps and my laptop  creeps along at 2Mbps up to 54Mbps but most often much much slower.  I turned off the parent control along with many other changes.  Seemed to work for a day or two but now I am back at the same slow speed.

I spent over 1 hour on the phone with service and this product still does not work.  I had a WRT160N for just under 1 year and it no longer worked.  I had hoped this would be the fix but the $ 90.00 spent did not do the trick.  What kind of help have any of you received from Cisco have they fixed the problem for anyone?

Cisco you need to stand behind your product, this seems to be a blanket problem.

Shane3619

Disable Safe Web Surfing thru Cisco Connect. You may also use a fixed channel for wireless connections (like channel 9), and use WPA2 for wireless connections as much as possible. Don't forget to load the latest firmware for the Valet Plus.

riw777

I can say that my Cisco 800 was faster than the valet; all my family members have complained about it. The problem is that I really want the parental controls up, so I'm struggling with going back to the 800, or just dealing with the slower speed to keep the parental controls. I want the controls to be local, so going through one of those services where you effectively vpn in to access the Internet isn't an option.

adpbeeker

Third Update to original post.

I just checked and there still is not a firmware update to solve this problem.  Is everbody on this post using ComCast?  I wonder if it has something to do with their speedburst technology not jiving well with the M20?

Any thoughts?

BirdieKate

This is so bad I'm screaming at my computer and threatening it with a sledgehammer.  I too read the cnet review, and reviews by users of how easy it was to set up, so off I went and bought it.  It's been installed a week and response time actually seems to be getting worse.  Takes a good five+ minutes to get into Firefox after everything has been turned on.  Then each successive page takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to load.  I have DSL, by the way. 

My son - who is the remote user for whom we installed this new router - says he is actually getting better speeds than before.  Well that's one person who isn't complaining, but only one.  Still have my receipt, and this thing may be going back.

BirdieKate

P.S., safe web filtering has been off since we installed it.  :smileysad:  so much for that option

BirdieKate

Update:  It appears that keeping up to date with firmware is key here.  And it's like I have to go find the updates, there's nothing automatic, and I resent that.  Maybe there's a setting on the Cisco Connect to be more automatic... opened that last night and it immediately told me updates were available, and performance is hugely improved since then.  I'm annoyed that this router can have such a negative impact on my performance that I actually was considering buying a new hard drive this past week... and it turns out I certainly did not need that.

trukil1

im having the same problem i have 34mbps and im getting  .54 wireless and 14 wired im just taking it back and im going to try the Cisco E2000