Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
slhayes126

how secure is my computer

I just installed an M10 Valet and it took a few attempts before everything was recognized on my Windows 7 machine.  I was on another forum and someone was suggesting I disable DCHP, but if I do that my netbook won't pick up the connection.  I was given a link to make my router into an "Access Point" which would allow me to disable DCHP, but I haven't tried anything on it because I am stumped trying to find some settings.  I am connected through my wired router and to my Win 7 machine.  This will necessitate that I leave the Win 7 Machine on in order to access the router.  My main concern is, is my machine secure?

scrooge

Re: how secure is my computer

If your computer is hardwired to the router. You don't need to worry about the security. However, in order to make your wireless secure, you could follow the steps mentioned in the article.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=22396&userrole=Links...

Once you enable the security on the router, you could easily prevent unauthorised access to your router through wireless.

slhayes126

I have been trying to set up an Access Point and right now  am in some difficulty.  The instructions I used I was only able to get to the first part and have reset the ip number on my wired router, but the wireless is currently unconnected.  It is a long story, but I am in a boot for a fracture in my foot that occurred while trying to work with the computers.  From what you say I should be secure with the link and steps on there without doing an Access Point, but I am almost halfway there and don't know if it would be best for me to try to go back to the old settings or continue on with the AP.

scrooge

Since you have only one computer and a single router. There is no need to configure your router as AP.

slhayes126

I have three computers currently hooked up and am waiting on a new tablet, plus I do have a netbook that is used infrequently.   I have one wired router, the new wireless router and a switch for cables that are throughout the house.

scrooge

[ Edited ]

Okay, let me put it this way, computers that are hardwired, you don't need to worry about the security since router itself works as a firewall for your local network, also, there is an inbuilt firewall (SPI firewall) which protects your network from intruders.

Second, for your wireless computers, you should enable wireless security (encryption) on your router to make your wireless network secure. If you don't do that, anybody could get easily connect to the unsecured wireless network and hack into your network. The steps to enable wireless security are same as I mentioned in my previous post (link).

Now that is all about security. Once your router is secure wired and wireless, then the number of devices you connect in the network (tablet/switch), it really doesn't matter because all the devices will be a part of your local network.

Finally, as you have mentioned that you have two routers (wired & wireless). If you want to use both routers, then connect the wireless router as the main router and wired router as the secondary one. Once both the routers are configured, connect the switch to the wired router. (Modem->Wireless router->Wired Router->Switch).

Connecting two routers is called router cascading. Here are the steps to cascade two routers.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=529c188bc0ee4f7da79ffc22f2be33ec_4579.xml&pid=80&r...

Hope that helps!