LaTrellBelle

Re: 192.68.1.1 not working

I am connected through the main PC. When I purchased my laptop and router at the same time, the computer guy setup the secured network on the laptop. Now that I have reconfigured the router, my original secured newtork is not being detected.

So even if I cannot use the original secured network setup by the computer guy, how do I setup a secure wireless network connection for the laptop?

[ Edited ]
OK, so your laptop is connected with a cable to the router?  It is secure that way, but obviously with a laptop you want to be wireless.  You will need to access the routers setup pages again.  Go to the Wireless tab.  Change the SSID to something different.  Save the page.  Click on the Wireless Security subtab.  I use WEP and generate a key from a passphrase.  The more info on the right of the screen will help you also.  Save that page.  Then on your laptop you'l configure the wireless card with those settings you put into the router.  You can also enter your MAC address into the router for more security.

Message Edited by sterner on 07-26-2006 07:47 PM

LaTrellBelle

Do I need to do this from the laptop? If so, my connect comes and goes.

It sounds like you have both a desktop pc and laptop, correct?  I would do it with the desktop, much easier.  Also, the shared key you enter will need to be generated, and the generated keys the router gives you will be the one you put into the wireless settings on the laptop.  Typically you will use the first key, and by default the settings on the laptop will do the first as well.
LaTrellBelle

Ok, will give this a try and see what happens. I'll let you know tomorrow, as I am off to work. . Thanks again for putting up with me. :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, I meant to say in the above post that I use WEP and then generate a key.
LaTrellBelle

This is so crazy. . .after all of that. My laptop still will not connect (technically). However, when I run the "cmd" command to pull up my IP address, physical address, etc. and place that information in the laptop, the laptop says I am connected through my secure network BUT I cannot get email, IM or surf. . now what is that about. . ..:smileymad:

Did you change the last # in the IP address that you entered into the laptop?  They cannot be the same.  Just increment it by 1.
LaTrellBelle

I changed it by one digit (just now), but my results are the same. I still have an excellent secured connection without being able to get online. Have I stumped you yet?
LaTrellBelle

[ Edited ]

Where to I go on the laptop to input the physical address. That's the only thing that I can "see" that is not matching up. Would this be the problem? Are they supposed to match?

Also was looking at the "ipconfig /all" on the laptop, my DHCP is not enabled.  Does this information help?

Message Edited by LaTrellBelle on 07-27-2006 08:35 AM