Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
henrik99

2 routers on the same network

I have installed 2 Linksys routers type WRT160N and a WRT160Nv3. Both ar DHCP installed, channels are 1 & 10, IP adresses are divided so Linksys 1: 192.168.1.1 - 149 and Linksys 2 :192.168.1.150 - 200. If anybody have another idea please come forward. Many thanks in advance. 

Expert
Expert

Re: 2 routers on the same network

And what's the problem? Those computers which get an IP address from the first router will use the internet connection of the first router and those computers which get an IP address from the second router will use the internet connection of the second router. So far, no problem...

If you only have one internet connection, only use the DHCP server on the first router (connected to the internet). The second router should get LAN IP address 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, DHCP server off, and connected through a numbered LAN port to the first router. Don't use the internet port of the second router.
musicmanohyeah

You are trying to cascade routers. There are 2 ways to cascade routers: LAN to WAN and LAN to LAN.

LAN to WAN is connecting the LAN connection of the Router 1 to the WAN port of the Router 2. [Use this if you want the computers to be on 2 different networks.]

LAN to LAN is connecting the LAN connection to one of the LAN ports of the Router 2. [Use this method if you want the computers to be on the same network]  

The complete steps on how to do this is explained in this article, click here.

MTFrobin

[ Edited ]

Not even calling tech support gave me this option!
They said I could not have to routers on the same network.
I should have looked here first, Thanks musicmanohyeah.

All they wanted to do is sell me more stuff!!! And it still would not have seamlessly covered my whole house.

I don't understand why they do not make a wireless extender that can be connected from the router the the extender via a ethernet cable, so you can keep full 1 GHz Lan connections as well as 300 mhz for wireless.

webmasterspride
MTFrobin

[ Edited ]

I will do as the video says, the problem for me was getting the wrong info when ordering the two routers from Linksys.

I told them what I wanted to do they said no problem but when I got them and hooked it up.

I couldn't get all my devices on the same network because Linksys Support told me I need one router to be 192.168.1.1 and the other 192.168.2.1

I even called several times to fight them on this, they sold me stuff and never bumped my up in tech support to someone that really knows their stuff.

Way too many arrogant people over in India I hate dealing with tech support from these people.

dadayzee

MTFrobin

[ Edited ]

That's the same link musicohyeah posted!

But thanks anyway.

Expert
FurryNutz

Try this method? 

Cascaded Router:
1. Setup on 2nd router...
Router IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Device Name and Local Domain Name: As you like or same as first main host router

Enable DHCP Server
DHCP IP Address Range: 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.150
(Choose the range to fit your needs/preferences)

Add DHCP Reservation
(If you want to always have the same IP addresses for your devices;
can be supplemented later any time)

This configures the LAN side of the router into the new (second) network
plus support for the IP addresses of the clients.

2. Setup Manual Internet Connection
My Internet Connection is: Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.1.3 or the IP address the 2ndary router gets from the first main host router.
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 ( or address of your first router)
Primary DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 ( or address of your first router)

This configures the WAN port of the router into the old (first) network.
Note that you must enter the IP addresses of your primary Internet router as Default Gateway and as Primary DNS Server.

3. Physically remove the cable to the first router (Internet access) from the LAN port of the 2nd router and plug it into it's WAN port.

4. Reboot the Device and test connections.

MTFrobin

Thanks, if the first scenario doesn't work I'll try your suggestion.

I need to get out to my dad's house, I tried talking him through it but it's too many wires for him.
I should be out there at the end of the week.
I'll post an update.