Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
john_phil

AP isolation

What is the exact meaning of "AP Isolation" on advanced-wireless settings?

How does it works if I enable it?

Re: AP isolation

What's the model number of your access point? Just wondering..

I dont see it under wap54g versions.
sharkbyte

AP Isolation:

Verbatim Definiton:
Creates a separate virtual network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of your wireless client will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with each other. You may want to utilize this feature if you have many guests that frequent your wireless network.

Meaning:
A prime example would be like in a hotspot (e.g. coffeeshop like Starbucks, hotels) wherein a lot of computers connect randomly to the network. Since all computers are connected to 1 single network there is a possibility that they could access each other which may result in unwanted hacking. AP isolation will help prevent this by making each and every single computer a separate entity on their own. :smileyhappy:
MrInfoSys

[ Edited ]
I see that it prevents wireless to wireless communication but I want a setup where wireless guests cannot access the wired network.  Would IP Isolation solve this?

Message Edited by MrInfoSys on 10-11-2007 06:08 PM
Expert
Expert

No. This is impossible with your router. All wireless clients have full access to the wired network.
Paradoxical

This looks like as bug with AP Isolation on the WRT160N V3 (Jan 2009 firmware):

I start by not having AP Isolation enabled, and I can connect wirelessly to the router (WPA2), and get routed onto the internet.

I enable AP Isolation, and I lose connectivity to the internet. I cannot ping the routers internet facing IP Address. However, my wired PC internet connectivity is unaffected.

I disable AP Isolation, and I do not regain internet connectivity from my wireless laptop until I have left it sit there for hours and something times out or resets itself. Performing router internet interface IP address release/renew, powering off/on and re-booting all devices does not speed up the process.

I perform this process twice with the same result.

Wireless laptop is a Lenovo T400 with Intel 5100 wireless chipset, IBM Access Connections v5.02, and XP SP3

Does anybody know the fix for this ?

.... Paradox

BlackCondor

What is AP isolation?

Expert
Expert

Read sharkbytes post above.
Network ADM

AP isolation

Will this affect the internet connection if my router is connected using Static IP?

Expert
sabretooth

If your user name is Network ADM, you should know this.