Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
harihar

Adding a second laptop to wireless Router WRT54G

Hello,
I recently bought a Linksys wireless router WRT54G which I use for my laptop to work at home. My wife has a laptop(IBM Thinkpad) and she wanted to work wireless too at home. I thought that I could add her laptop with the WRT54G we have at home easily. She uses her laptop at her business so her laptop has already a wireless setup for her office use. I need to add the WRT54G wireless router in her laptop but do not know how to do it. She has Windows XP operating system. I tried going to Network connections--setup wireless for home-- etc.but got totally lost. Is there a way I can add her laptop to the existing WRT54G router? I am not too good with the computer--if anybody can provide a step by step instructions I would be able to follow. Thanks,
NARAS
Somsak

Re: Adding a second laptop to wireless Router WRT54G

Hi, I just added a Notebook to my WRT54L recently and wanted to pass along to you how I did it. You may need your Security Shared Key  and router security info. (WEP, etc.) to enter.
On the Notebook, lower right toolbar, right click on the connection icon and select "view available" signals. If your wireless router is broadcasting it's SSID you should see this signal as a choice to connect to. Select it and the connection menu should guide you through to establish a connection.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dan

harihar

Dan,
Thanks very much for your note--I will definitely try it out
NARS
gandalf

If it has wireless adapter, you will see wireless network connection, in network connections window. Here right click, and select view available wireless connections and get connected to yours, by typing network key.
rzarate52

How do I connect aditional laptop with windows 8 to router

Expert
sabretooth

rzarate52 wrote:

Just plug your Ethernet cable from your laptop into a port on the router and you are good to go.

Expert
zee29

rzarate52 wrote:

You need to know the wireless settings of your router first like the network name and the wireless password. Please click on this link to know how to connect your laptop to the wireless network (if you do want wifi connection).

Title: Connecting your Windows 8 computer to the wireless network Article ID: 27257