Jolzilla

Adding an Access Point to an existing Wireless Network

I have an existing wireless network using a Cisco/Linksys WRT400N wireless router (which in turn is connected to a cable internet provider).

I need to extend my wireless coverage and so purchased a Cisco/Linksys E1000 to act as an additional access point.  Purchased from BB, the local 'geek squad' rep instructed me to follow the users guide to help with the set up.

After login into the admin service on my E1000, I followed the 'Advanced Routing' instructions and disabled the 'NAT' option and subsequently enabled the 'Dynamic Routing (RIP)' option.  Everything worked like a charm to this point, but now I'm stuck...

What steps do I need to follow to allow clients to log onto my wirelss network via the E1000 (secondary access point)?

I've established WEP security keys on the WRT400N (primary access point) and want to use the same network security parameters on the E1000.

Can someone assist me?

Thanks!

kaphely

Re: Adding an Access Point to an existing Wireless Network

I'm afraid you can't do that with the E series routers (E1000, E2000 and E3000). These routers cannot act as access points/repeaters. That's what happens when you listen to people working at BB. They don't know much about anything from what I have seen. Return it before it is too late and get a Wireless repeater instead.

Philippe Laramée
Embedded Software Developper
Jolzilla

Thanks Phillipe... Can you suggest a Cisco/Linksys product that will suit my needs?

Al

kaphely

[ Edited ]

I don't know any Linksys/Cisco products that would do that at a decent price. The WAP4410N does it, but it is pretty expensive.

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Philippe Laramée
Embedded Software Developper
Zooterpust

Philippe, 

I have never purchased anything but Linksys routers because they are normally easy to get up and running.  I just read your note saying that the E series routers cannot be made to function as wireless access points. I've been trying to do just that.  I have an E2000 that is wired to another e-series router (don't remember which one, but I think it's the 3000), and it always causes the e3000 router o malfunction and become inoperable.

You said to buy a wireless access point/repeater  instead.  Can you recommend a reasonably priced, good-quality brand that will provide the N prototocol speeds and signal quality?  I hate trying to work with another brand because I'm not an expert in networking and Linksys is the only brand I've ever delved into when it comes to trying to configure a router.

Zooterpust

Never mine.  I've answered my own question:  Apple's Airport Extreme (or whichever one it was for $109 at Best Buy) worked beautifully.  In the setup process you just select the "bridge" option and it's done. Sends a nice, strong signal all over the house and doesn't interfere with the E3000 that it's connected to.

dburns99

I wouldn't be so hard on the BB guys.  I'm using an E1000 as an AP and it's working fine.

If you configure the WAN side ( Internet side ) for DHCP and give the LAN side ( local network side ) an IP different from your router/gateway and disable DHCP and NAT on the E1000 it will work. 

If you need detailed settings, let me know.

grltech

Would it possible to get those detailed instructions?

grltech

Would it be possible to get detailed settings from you?  Any help would be most appreciated.

dburns99

no problem......I sent u a message