majorusa

After changing the EA4500 IP range I cannot access the router's settings

Hi. I am the owner of a ea4500 router. My router is connected to another router that has 192.168.1.1 address. So I had to change the address to the ea4500 to 192.168.0.1. After I did thid I tried to log into the router again to change some setting. All that I get is "Ooops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.1." It is is not Chrome related since I tried IE too. 

The only way to access the settings again is to hard reset the router by pressing the reset button in the back 10+ seconds. This is the first router that I have with this issue. My e1000 which also had the ip changed doe not behave like this. 

Can someone help me with this issue? Else this router is going back for a refund. Thank you. 

Expert
Expert

Re: After changing the EA4500 IP range I cannot access the router's settings

That's not a problem of the router but the compouter. Your computer still uses an 192.168.1.* address and thus cannot access the web interface at http://192.168.0.1/ Reboot the computer or unplug the cable for a minute to force the computer to get a new IP address or do a "ipconfig /renew *"

Generally, it's no good idea to chain two routers. I would recommend to put the EA4500 into bridge mode and use it as access point. That way all your devices are in a single LAN and can access each other.
majorusa

I did all of the above. No luck. So it is not the computer. I wonder why I do not have this issue with the e1000. 

I am open to other ideas. 

Expert
Expert

Do you really want to separate LAN subnets? Do you really want the EA4500 LAN separated and inaccessible from your main router's LAN? If not, bridge mode would be what you really want.

1. Unplug the EA4500 from your network. Reset to factory defaults.
2. Wire a computer to the EA4500, open http://192.168.1.1/
3. On the main setup page, change the LAN IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. Save settings.
4. Wait 1 minute until the router has rebooted and LEDs light normally.
5. Reboot the computer.,
6. Open a command prompt window, enter "ipconfig /all" and post the full output.
7. If the computer has got a valid IP address, ping 192.168.0.1. Any replies?
8. Open the web interface at http://192.168.0.1/ Does it work?

If it does:

9. Wire the internet port to a LAN port of your main router. Check the status page of the EA4500 to verify that it received an IP address from your main router in 192.168.1.*.
majorusa

First of all, thank you for your input and help. 

What I did so far: I factory reset the router. I installed Cisco Connect. Configured the router through Cisco connect. To my surprise the router received an ip of this class: 10.158.89.100. I noticed this IP address last time but the IP thst I have input was 192.168.0.1.

Now the router is functional, through Cisco Connect I can access the advance settings but I do not want to touch it. I will read more on how to change the advance settings and still be able to use Cisco Connect.

On another note, I would like to have this router on bridge mode and I did try to set it like this but in the second I was saving the settings the router became unavailable. How can I access this router in bridge mode to change the wireless settings by example?

Thank you again for the time you took to read and answer to my noob post. :smileyhappy:

Expert
Expert

Same thing again: in bridge mode the router will obtain an IP address via DHCP from you main router. Check the DHCP table of your main router to find out the correct IP address.
gmarsh78

I ran into this exact issue, but it was only when the internet service changed. The service was changed from DSL to Cable. Why is this a big deal. Well, this apparently triggered the bug when the DSL modem that was using 192.168.1.x was replaced with a cable modem that was in bridge mode. So the EA4500 got a public address while on a 10.x.x.x on the lan. BOOM! no DHCP address on wireless. Wired worked and static address on the wired or wireless worked. After reading this thread and reconfigured the addressing on the LAN to 192.168.1.x and now everything works. Need to go back and readdress my static devices, but oh well, saved me from throwing the router in the trash.