An observation: ea6300 wifi and interference from home (cordless) phone

Not a flaw, just wanted to share an observation.

Our home phone is a cordless set that runs on the 5-GHz band. Whenever we used the phone, it interfered significantly with the ea6300's 5-GHz wifi, slowing throughput to a crawl.

I thought initially that our VoIP phone service (through an Obihai box, the Obi110) was the culprit and set media prioritization  for that. Didn't matter (though I'm sure it helps).

The "fix" was to set the router to use the 40-MHz mode for 5-GHz wifi. Night and day difference.

Re: An observation: ea6300 wifi and interference from home (cordless) phone

[ Edited ]

Well I'm just out of touch.... It seems the rest of the universe uses DECT 6.0 home phones to avoid this issue because DECT uses the 1.9 GHz band, which never interferes with the 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi devices in the first place.

Despite all my lame testing, eventually I received a real-world call from a living being on a cell phone and noticed on that occasion that the internet wifi connection to the laptop slowed to zero....

Had enough, so replaced my 5 GHz Uniden home phone system with a Panasonic DECT 6.0 home phone set I purchased "like new" through Amazon Warehouse Deals for 1/3rd the price of new, and lo and behold, we can blibber-blabber on the phone for hours and watch internet video through wifi and not a single slowdown, everything works full-speed.

This wasn't an issue with a router. It was interference from a 5-GHz cordless phone system. DECT 6.0 is the answer. And has been for years, I just hadn't encountered the issue before and was clueless.

Thank you for sharing this. Probably it's time for me to get a DECT 6.0 home phone! Smiley Wink

Of course, a plain old wired phone is impervious to wifi interference but .... for some strange reason, the world has changed and the idea is to have a base unit with a buncha cordless handsets all over the place so folks can wander all over the house chit-chatting away without any worries about how short the cord is....

Thank you for sharing that. I'm planning to buy ea6300 but after reading your observation. I guess I have to think again.

Expert

Yes I agree.  It's been this way for the past 5-8 years with cordless phones.  DECT 6.0 phones have no issues with wireless routers as of this time.