Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MichaelLindbeck

Antenna position when mounting on wall (WRT1900AC)

The user guide recommends how to position the antennas when the router is sitting on a shelf, but I would like to get some advice for antenna possitioning when mounting the unit on a wall.

Thank you.

michael

Expert
chadster766

Re: Antenna position when mounting on wall (WRT1900AC)

Antenna positioning typically doesn't matter too much with home wireless networks since the range is usually short.

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
MichaelLindbeck

Actually I'm trying to get better range than I have now.  I'd like to use my laptop out in the back yard.  In the user manual, they have suggested positioning for single and multiple story homes.  Trying to get a signal in the back yard would be something like a multiple story large home.  But in the documentation, they don't address how to position the antennas when mounting on a wall.

Thanks.

Expert
chadster766

[ Edited ]

In this case you don't want to locate it in the basement.

Locate the router on the main floor preferably in a window open to the back yard. Exterior wall material such as Stucco or metal siding will require using a windows because of the metal or mesh.

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert
sabretooth

One way that works is to get a large cardboard box and line the inside with tin foil in a concave pattern.  Now place the router close or inside and use this as a directional antenna.  Works quite will for me and gives be about a 20% increase in signal strength in the direction I want.  Simple.

sm00thpapa

And what is the recommened antenna position for sitting on a shelf? 

MichaelLindbeck

According to an FAQ on the website:

Optimal Antenna Positioning
Recommended for single-story environments
Recommended for multi-story environments
MichaelLindbeck

From the research I've done since my original question, the suggested positioning (in the pictures in my previous post) would be really bad if it were mounted on a wall.  I'm speculating that what would be more appropriate would be for them to be in the same plane as the unit itself and probably pointed up and/or down.

Thanks.

BlueNaru21

I also agree with sabretooth. If you are to mount the router on a wall, place it where it can provide the most signal coverage (i.e. farthest wall of a room) and position the side and bottom antennas slightly outward and pointing to where it can propagate the widest signal.

Help, learn and share :smileyvery-happy:
ikke656

I would suggest to point the side antennas at a 45 degree angle and the back antennas traight up when mounting on a wall for multi story buildings. It seems like they designed them so the length of the antenna acts as a conductor, which means that when all antennas are vertical you would get less signal on the story above. I've tested this using my Asus PCE-68 in comination with the WRT1900AC and it actualy does work like this.