zicogja421

Best Location for Wireless Router in 2 Story House

Hello. There was a similar post to this before, but it didn't quite address my concern. I live in a two story house. The router is currently placed in one half of the first floor. I am connected to with my dekstop wirelessly via an extended-range usb adapter. Everything else held equal, is it better to place the router in the highest location possible? In other words, am I more likely to get better reception anywhere in the house if I place the router upstairs (and as close to the center of the house as possible)? Most of the people in my house use their laptops downstairs while I am stuck upstairs with my desktop and wireless adapter getting a decent but not entirely desirable connection (it was very low and would turn off randomly, but I changed the router channel to 11 and now it seems to be consistent but at around 3 to 4 out of what seems to be 10 bars. Ideally, since I like to game and desire the highest speed, I would set up the router via ethernet to my pc upstairs while putting it in a location that will not severely limit the connection downstairs... that is why I ask if it is better to have the router upstairs; if it is, then I will have all the justification I need to try to reposition it.

Also, as something of a more techinical question. How does the radio broadcast from the wireless routers work? Does the signal shoot up and out from the antenna tips? Can it shoot down? Even if it shoots up, is it still better to have it in a higher location?

Sorry for the rambling, but I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

JDJimmy

Re: Best Location for Wireless Router in 2 Story House

I believe that yes, it would be best to place it on the second story of the house because a signal broadcasts out in all directions. So, if you want the best wireless gaming, I recommend placing it in the center of your house closest as possible to the center.
Corleone

Re: Best Location for Wireless Router in 2 Story House

Your router will broadcast the signals in all directions(not just upstair or downstairs)...You should place your router in the center of your house...

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna (if external) should be vertical...