Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
allink50

Blocking music sharing

Please advise as to what ports need to be blocked or whatever needs to be sure it doesn't take place.
Expert
Expert

Re: Blocking music sharing

That's impossible.
ewm

When you say "block music sharing" what do you mean?

Are you running a file sharing application on any of your PCs?
allink50

I don't want anyone on network to to be involved with music sharing, so I thought the router could block this activity by adjusting whatever ports this takes place on. I do use itunes and share the tunes on the LAN. Running an Apples system if that matters. Thanks
ewm

How many users (machines) on your network?
What type - Macs, Windows or both?
What model router are you using?
Do you know what sites or applications you wish to block?

Supply as much information as possible.

It is possible to block some activity at the router level but there are other methods that may be more effective.
allink50

How many users (machines) on your network? What type - Macs, Windows or both? What model router are you using? Do you know what sites or applications you wish to block? 5 macs router wrt 54g want to block all sharing other than itunes sharing on the network..i don't know all the sites, and guess there might be many. I thought that these sharing programs use certain ports that might be able to be altered so sharing couldn't take place, though I may be wrong
ewm

A good deal of music sharing is done with Bit Torrent clients. There are other file sharing programs that see a lot of use too.

File sharing only occurs when the user has downloaded and installed a sharing application that will open a folder to the world. Keep your users from installing file sharing apps and there won't be any problem.

If you were looking for a quick fix to prevent sharing, it doesn't exist. But as long as your users don't have file sharing on their systems, it won't be an issue. If someone does install a Bit Torrent client or some other application, you'll need to either remove it or find out what port it uses and block the ports in your router.