daveitg

CISCO E4200 Lights

What does the Blinking white light on the top front of the E4200 router mean?  The tech people in India or wherever say don't worry about it.  They said it is suppose to blink.  Please reference Knowledge Base article 22737.  The way I read it that blinking light means there is some kind of error.  I have seen several people state there is something wrong with the router and are taking it back.  There can't be that many bad E4200 routers.  There has to be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed or set.  Thanks.

daveitg

Re: CISCO E4200 Lights

I referenced article 22737 which your post points to.  The way I read it the light should be on steady.  So I do not see you giving a solution.  

quack

I think that light is only for WiFi protected setup.The light should be solid if the WiFi protected setup is successful.

If you are not using WiFi protected setup to secure the wireless network then don't worry about that light.

bigdave240

on page 1 of the manual it says:

Power

(white) When the router is powered on, resets to factory defaults, or upgrades its firmware, the light flashes slowly (every three seconds).When the router is ready for use, the light is continuously lit.If there is an error, the light flashes quickly (every second); disconnect the power adapter from your router, wait two seconds, and then reconnect the power adapter to your router.

I have had this light flash from time to time and do not use wifi protected setup. it cleared after i power reset the router and has not come back so far. It took a couple of minutes after the power reset before it cleared. I wish there was a log for errors?

blacklion

I just picked up the E4200 last night.  I am seeing the same issue from three locations in my house; directly into the outlet, and two separate surge protectors.  When it boots the light will come on solid then after a couple minutes it will start slowing pulsing, then start blinking fast.  Then the cycle will start over again.  It was still doing this when I woke up this morning.  I haven't noticed any issues yet with functionality, but the fact that the fast blinking indicates an issue makes me wonder if there isn't something actually wrong with the device.  It would be nice to get an explanation for what's actually going on here. 

It would also be nice in if a firmware update would somehow introduce system logs.

marctronixx

take the router out of WiFi protected setup. this is a bug in the first run software.
blacklion

One of the first config changes I made was moving from Wi-Fi Protected Setup to Manual. 

marctronixx

well if that led lamp is still blinking i would return it for a new model. it may be defective. that lamp should not blink randomly.
ickray

I have had the E4200 for 3 weeks now, and the blinking issue has just reared its head. I have been in manual mode (not wps) since I set it up. Do we know if this is actually a hardware issue or a software issue?

I would like to know before my return perios of 30 days ends.

Thanks.