meangene

CONFIGURE WIRELESS ROUTER AS A WIRELESS RANGE EXTENDER

Have an older, unused BEFW11S4 router that I would like to configure as simply a range extender/wireless WAP within our soon-to-be-installed Cisco wireless network. Can this be done?
helm

Re: CONFIGURE WIRELESS ROUTER AS A WIRELESS RANGE EXTENDER

No the wireless router need Internet Connection from the Modem ... so that it will work ... you can keep it wireless at any place but connected to that you will be not able to go online ....
Probedude

[ Edited ]
If you can run a ethernet wire from the first router to where you are going to locate your old router, yes you can. I've done it this way. - Your main router needs to be set to a specific channel, ideally 1, 6, or 11. - Run an ethernet wire from this main router from the LAN port to the location you want to has your old router. - Plug this ethernet wire into the LAN port on your old router, NOT THE WAN PORT! - Log into your old router, set the SSID the same as the main router, same security, but use a different channel (ideally 1, 6, or 11). - turn DHCP off on your old router. I have this same setup at my Church- works well. The main router handles all the DHCP for anyone hooking up wired or wirelessly - even from your old router. The reason for picking channels 1, 6, or 11 is that these frequencies don't overlap at all.

Message Edited by Probedude on 07-24-2008 07:11 PM
meangene

Thanks helm - but no, you can configure the router to act as an ethernet switch without giving the router DIRECT access to the internet (i.e., nothing plugged into the modem port), but my question concerned configuring it strictly as a wireless range exender. Turns out can't be done.
meangene

Probedude - Thanks for your response! I know I can configure it to act the equivilant of a wireless switch/wired WAP (did tha recently for a friend's hybrid LAN), but I was curious if it was possible to configure it like a wireless range extender/repeater where the signal it handles is passed on to a WAP or router. We were looking at connecting an older, non-wireless laptop to it with the whole thing supported by a deep cycle marine batter with a DC/AC converter so we could wheel it around the warehouse and gun barcodes on the racks.
helm

I found very good link on linksys knowledge base website .....
Try this & see if it works ....
meangene

Thanks helm! This is good info to know!
StarMonkey

This worked! I used an older Linksys WR54GS to expand the range of my wireless network by connecting it to a wired switch. My only hiccup was, when I first connected it, there was an IP address conflict (both it and my in-use router are set to 192.168.1.1). Once I changed the address of the old router, I was able to follow the instructions and VOILA - expanded wireles range!

THANK YOU!

mszj2004@msn.com

How do I convert a series g router as an expander for a series n router?