09-27-2009 09:42 PM
I have one Vista computer connected to the internet with a netgear wireless router connected to a cable modem. The other XP computer is connected to a linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. How do I get them to talk to each other?
09-28-2009 12:48 AM
1) I am a bit confused by your question. Why do you need two routers? Why not connect all your computers to one router?
2) Are you trying to run a public network and a private network? (for example, coffee house with a private office in the back)
3) Do you want all computers to be able to share one Internet connection, all printers, and possibly also files?
4) Do you need two wireless routers to expand the area where you have wireless access?
5) Do you have two Internet lines and you want to use both at the same time?
09-28-2009 04:46 PM
Thanks for replying,
1. I don't need 2 routers, thats just the hardware I currently have and I don't have a wireless NIC.
2. A private network.
3.Yes, share one internet connection and share files and printers.
4. Nope, I just didn't want to buy any more hardware.
5. Nope, just 1 for both computers.
Right now I have a wireless USB adapter which does all of the above but, its slow and it gets hot and drops the connection. I came across this linksys wireless router and thought it would be faster and more reliable.
09-28-2009 10:53 PM - edited 09-28-2009 10:55 PM
1) It sounds like you are trying to connect these two routers wirelessly --- is that correct? If so, you cannot do this.
2) It sounds like you want to wirelessly connect to your router with a device, and then wire one or more computers to it. This function is performed by a "wireless ethernet bridge", and you would need a WET54G, WET610N, or WET200 to do this.
3) On the other hand, if you are willing to wire your two routers together, then you can join them into one network. To do this, see my post at the following URL. If you do not need wireless, you can turn off wireless in both router and the network will still work.
09-30-2009 12:32 PM
Is both the routers are connected to each other as it will not work wirelessly...?
If both the routers are connected to each other and if you have an active internet connection from both the router then, Make sure File and Printer Sharing is Enabled...Also make sure both the computer's are in the same workgroup...
10-02-2009 04:34 PM
10-02-2009 10:01 PM - edited 10-02-2009 10:02 PM