Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dimmicks

Can I get these 2 routers to talk to each other?

Hi,

I have one Vista computer connected to the internet with a netgear  wireless router connected to a cable modem.  The other XP computer is connected to a linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router.  How do I get them to talk to each other?

Thanks,

Shannon

toomanydonuts

Re: Can I get these 2 routers to talk to each other?

1)  I am a bit confused by your question.  Why do you need two routers?  Why not connect all your computers to one router?

2)  Are you trying to run a public network and a private network?  (for example, coffee house with a private office in the back)

3)  Do you want all computers to be able to share one Internet connection, all printers, and possibly also files?

4)  Do you need two wireless routers to expand the area where you have wireless access?

5)  Do you have two Internet lines and you want to use both at the same time?

dimmicks

Thanks for replying,

1. I don't need 2 routers, thats just the hardware I currently have and I don't have a wireless NIC. 

2. A private network.

3.Yes, share one internet connection and share files and printers.

4. Nope, I just didn't want to buy any more hardware.

5. Nope, just 1 for both computers.

Right now I have a wireless USB adapter which does all of the above but, its slow and it gets hot and drops the connection.  I came across this linksys wireless router and thought it would be faster and more reliable.

Thanks,

Shannon

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]

1)  It sounds like you are trying to connect these two routers wirelessly  ---  is that correct?   If so, you cannot do this.

2)  It sounds like you want to wirelessly connect to your router with a device, and then wire one or more computers to it.  This function is performed by a "wireless ethernet bridge", and you would need a WET54G, WET610N, or WET200  to do this.

3)  On the other hand, if you are willing to wire your two routers together, then you can join them into one network.  To do this, see my post at the following URL.  If you do not need wireless, you can turn off wireless in both router and the network will still work.

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=108928

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 09-29-2009 12:55 AM
castor

Is both the routers are connected to each other as it will not work wirelessly...?

If both the routers are connected to each other and if you have an active internet connection from both the router then, Make sure File and Printer Sharing is Enabled...Also make sure both the computer's are in the same workgroup... 

dimmicks

So you are saying 2 routers can't talk to each other wirelessly?

DSE 1

The only way to get them to talk wirelessly,  is to get a 3rd party firmware for your model of router.  The firmware that i have used on my wrt54g v3 & wrt54g v8 is DD-WRT & so far i have not had any problems with it talking to my main router/modem wirelessly.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Your BEFW11S4 cannot be connected wirelessly to your netgear router, at least not with Linksys firmware.  As far as I know, dd-wrt does not have firmware for the BEFW11S4.  Perhaps there is another third party firmware that would convert your BEFW11S4 to a "wireless ethernet bridge", but I am not aware of any firmware that would do that.
Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 10-03-2009 12:02 AM