Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Airek

Can my router cause my modem to disconnect?

Obviously you can get disconnected from the modem, but i'm talking having my modem go completely out. Talking all lights out, slowly coming back on. For the last 3 weeks or so, my internet has started disconnecting at completely random times. Any where from 5 - 25 times a day. It could be good for several hours, then do it back to back to back. I've been battling my cable company (Charter... shocker, eh?) and they have sent three different techs out who all have come up with a different reason. If they're going to **bleep** their way through the job, they should have at least all been on the same page.

Any way, now I'm basically taking the job on myself. I'm doing a process of elimination as to what could be the problem. The three reasons as it stands to me would be...

A) The router (WRT54GS V.6)

B) The modem (Motorola SB5101)

C) The line itself

In that order. It seemed from my understanding that the router wouldn't make the modem completely disconnect. Maybe the signal coming from the modem isn't strong enough, so when it's split in a router it fades too much and causes a disconnect? So far I have reset to default factory settings, re-upgraded the firmware, and disabled Capture(share.upnp)UPnP, which i saw suggested in another post.

So far no disconnects, but as I said before it's a hard thing to diagnose due to it messing up so inconsistently. I can swap the modem out for a new one for free at my local cable company store, which would probably be my next move if I can lay to rest that it might be the router. If a new modem does the same thing, and my router isn't the problem, I'm going to have to assume it's the line.

While I wait for something that may not happen, I'd like some feedback from some of the more intelligent members of the community as to what they think might be the problem.

Airek

Re: Can my router cause my modem to disconnect?

I hate to bump, but really need a response on the matter.
castor

To diagnose this problem you are getting diconnected Frequently, First connect the Modem to Computer and observe the connection for 1 whole day, If you face any disconnction from your Modem then it might be the problem with the modem or with the Line. So you can talk to your ISP regarding this issue. If it works fine then connect the modem to router and computer and check if you are facing that same problem or not. If yes, as you have already upgraded the firmware on your Router, Press and hold the reset button for 1 minute...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 1 minute and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...
wanolan

I've had the same problem. I think it's the router. I have the same router as you as well. Find any solutions?