Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rpmx1000

Can people interfere with the wireless signal?

This is strange and I can't figure it out.  My Linksys WRT54GSv5 router works fine with my notebook accessing the internet. When certain friends of mine come over, the wireless internet quits working the minute they enter my kitchen, that's where my notebook computer is.  I'm connected to the wireless network, but no web pages will load.  When they leave, everything works again without rebooting or anything.  Is there an explanation for this? 
crash101me

Re: Can people interfere with the wireless signal?

lolol. Is your friend a robot or something? >.>
I dont think people can interefere with connection (Unless they are freakishly obese)
maui29111

might have been that when they connected to your network it crashed your connection wirelessly. you mentioned that you're in the kitchen, do you use you microwave oven and you get disconnected? because it could drop your connection wirelessly...
rpmx1000

This has happened 4 times in a row when they came over.  Yesterday, while they were walking up to my house, I tried to load a web page on my notebook and it worked fine.  The minute they entered the kitchen, I tried a web page again and it would not load.  I wonder if there is a device that may interfere with the wireless signal that they have with them.  There was no microwave in use.  As far as I know, my friends are not robots.  But maybe they are aliens from another planet.  Seriously, I can't figure out why this is happening.
maui29111

as far as i know only microwave ovens and a cordless phone would interfere with the wireless signal. thick walls as well. it's really weird that the connection drops when your friends come over.
rpmx1000

bump
maui29111

just to isolate the problem try to bring it on a hot spot then try connecting your laptop to their network and if people coming in are also gonna kick off your connection then there might be a problem with the wireless card on your laptop
rpmx1000

I have many visitors to my house and there is a problem only when this certain couple comes over. We are baffled. Could it be a problem with one of their cell phones or pager?  Is there a device that will intentionally interefere with the wireless signal? Are they screwing with me? I'd love to know. 
maui29111

as far as i know i think those things that i mentioned were some very big interferences for your wireless connection