Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
chicken59

Can't access modem through router (EA2700)

Hi I have an Cisco EA2700 router and a Motorola SB6121 modem. If I'm connected to the router wirelessly or through any of the lan ports, I can't visit the modem's diagnostics page at 192.168.100.1. If I connect directly to the modem, it works fine. Also I cannot ping the modem through the router, just get a timeout. My ISP is Comcast.

Any ideas? 

PRBear571

Re: Can't access modem through router (EA2700)

Same problem with my EA2700 with Cablevision.  Also if I reboot my EA2700, I cannot get an ip address from Cablevision.  I must power cycle my cable modem every time after router is restarted to reconnect to internet.

Cable modem is an Arris TM822G.  Definitely something buggy with the 1.2 and 1.4 firmwares.

vai_fan

[ Edited ]

Before I suggest you for any troubleshooting steps, I would like to ask few questions. How is the modem connected with the router? Is the router working, means can you able to go online through the router? What IP address do you get on a computer when connected to the router? To check the IP address that you are getting from the Router...

You can check the IP address in the following manner:

# Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

# A black pop up box should come up, type: "ipconfig /all" …

There check the IP address and Default Gateway under LAN….

Check if there is no static IP address provided to the computer. If there is any then try to remove it and then check the connectivity status…

Other wire, here is the link to set up your router with Cable Internet service: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=0ff4c94586a345d082828ec2161aaecf_3686.xml&pid=80&r...

chicken59

[ Edited ]

The modem is connected through the router's internet ethernet port... Yes the router is working and internet service is fast and stable. The ip address associated to the router is the default 192.168.1.1 There is no static ip address. 

vai_fan

So, still the modem management page is not accessible. If not, then check if there is any firewall or security center is enabled. Try to disable them and then check the connectivity status...

chicken59

No firewalls are enabled on the computer I'm trying to access the modem with. I disabled the ipv4 and ipv6 spi firewalls on the router, still no access.

vai_fan

The main reason behind the concern is that the IP adddress of the Router and the cable modem are in two different series due which you are unable to open  the moddem setup page or could ping the modem..

PRBear571

Hello Cisco/Linksys,

There is a serious issue with the EA2700 that does not initialize the WAN port correctly when cannoted to a cable modem.

I'm quite technical so no troubleshooting assistance is needed. The problem is not with my cable modem or ISP as my other test routers work fine and connect with no issues.

I advise you to look into this ASAP or you will see a lot of returns on this new product.

Regards,

Dave

rskunath

Did you or did oy not follow the advice posted in the link up the thread:

Pasted from the relevant post...

# Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

# A black pop up box should come up, type: "ipconfig /all" …

There check the IP address and Default Gateway under LAN….

Check if there is no static IP address provided to the computer. If there is any then try to remove it and then check the connectivity status…

End of paste...

The poster was not asking you whether your router was assigned a static address. He was trying to make sure that your PC did not have either other IP addresses or left over routes holding over from when you had the PC directly connected to the modem. Such leftovers would prevent your PC from accessing the cable modem's status page. I have seen cases where WIndows will act this way.

Have you tried to clear out any old routes or old leases from your PC, or tried to access the router from another PC by any chance?

The router has to be working and accessing and routing traffic correctly if you can access the Internet. If you cannot access that one specific IP I would suspect a local PC issue. 

This will help if you are using XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

Windows 7 is another animal entirely.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

I'm guessing that this is a local PC issue. 

PRBear571

What do the above steps have to do with the EA2700 getting an address from my ISP?  

My local network is fine and I can connect to the router.  My router (EA2700) cannot get an IP addrss from my ISP and I cannot connect to the internet.