Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
thaspel

Can't access router settings after changing to static IP address

I installed an IP camera, and had to change my E1000 router settings to a static IP address.  Now I can't access the router settings.  192.168.1.1 is still the default gateway, but it won't open in any browser.

I'm reluctant to do a reset because it took me quite a while to figure out how to get the IP camera and port forwarding working (it does!), and I'd hate to do it all again and come to the same place.  I'm not very good at this stuff, and it's a small miracle that I did it once.  

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  

Thanks!

Expert
Expert

Re: Can't access router settings after changing to static IP address

You cannot change your router to static IP if you installed a camera, for whatever reason.

You must use whatever your ISP tells you to do. If your ISP tells you to use DHCP you have to use DHCP. If it's PPPoE you have to do so. If it's static IP you have to do so.

Changing on your own won't do any good.

I guess you have changed the WAN IP address of your router to something in 192.168.1.* messing it completely up because now the router is connected to 192.168.1.* on the LAN and WAN side making it unroutable.

The only option here is to reset the router.
thaspel

Thanks, GV.  That sounds dire.  It was my understanding that, in order to do port forwarding, you had to assign a static IP address to the router.  And it worked.  The camera works, the router works, the wifi works -- I just can't access the settings.

Thanks for answering ... it looks like a reset is in my future.

Expert
Expert

You can't set a static IP address to the router.

You can either set a static IP address on the camera.

Or you can use DHCP reservation to always assign the same IP address to the camera inside your LAN.
opheliaimmortal23

I agree with gv, reset is the only option here to get the router up and running again.