Can't complete setup - 'Error 321: Ethernet cable not connected'' - WRT1110

I'm trying  to upgrade from my old WR54G2 to a WRT1110 but whenever I get up to powering up the new router the setup sits there for ages before telling me that it can't find the router. The cables are all securely connected, I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem connected to the router by ethernet, and my laptop is connected to port one, and I have plugged everything in according to the instructions. When everything is connected I can actually connect to the internet via LAN but can'tcomplete the installation or set-up a wireless network. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Can't complete setup - 'Error 321: Ethernet cable not connected'' - WRT1110

Where do you get error 321? Make sure the cable coming from the modem connects to the Internet Port or WAN Port of the router.

It's when using the CD installation, when it tells you to plug the power into the router, everything lights up but ater a few mins it gives that error message. I just read another post with a similar problem that recommended a manual installation, so i am using the web browser GUI to see if I can get it working. I assume I set up a network in windows then connect to it using the "wifi protected setup" in the wifi options?

[ Edited ]

Follow the manual setup below.

For DSL connection, here's the procedure.

For Cable connection, here's the procedure.

[ Edited ]

Wasn't much help unfortunately.

Ended up using the setup again, when it got up to the 321 error I quit out and checked the GUI status, all of the IP and DNS etc are there (can't see any WAN ip though), so I figure that's all working fine. Next problem is setting up the wireless network. I've tried various options, using both WEP and WAP but nothing seems to work. Can see the SSID no problem, and can sometimes connect but usually with limited access. When I run the setup again at this point it takes me to the wireless setup (which I can't normally get to because of the 321 error) and it goes through the setup, identifies network device and network, then it goes through to configuring the router successfully, , but at the next step - che king router settings or something - it gives an Error 302 'an internal error occured' or something. Sometimes, after this point, once I've power cycled the network, I can connect for a few seconds on one of the laptops, even get internet, but then the conection drops out and I can't even access the GUI anymore.

The whole debacle is very frustrating, none of the wizard functions actually work, from the setup to the Win7 'wireless security setup' function in the GUI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, have tried updating the firmware, but for some reason the GUI won't recognise the path to the .binfile (on the desktop), it just tells me to put in the path and won't let me continueto upgrade.

With the above manual set-up guide, I forgot to mention earlier, whenever I try to clone my MAC address it locks me out of the router and the only way I can fix it is to reset it back to factory settings. Dunno if that's significant or not?

Try the 30-30-30 reset.

Press and hold the reset button for 30 sec. Unplug the power while still holding the button for another 30 sec. Plug the power back in and continue to hold the button for the last 30 sec. Continue with the manual setup.

I'll put it on my to-try list, unfortuntely I can only play with it during the day when no one is home and using the internet. Any other suggestions in the meantime I might try tomorrow?

Try to upgrade the router's firmware using TFTP utility and check.

Download the TFTP utility and save it on the desktop.Also,download the firmware and save it on the desktop.

Double click the TFTP.exe file and click run.For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...