Accepted Solution

Can't connect to NOAA.gov, but OK on every other site...WRT54Gv6

I can't connect to the public weater site NOAA.gov, and weather.gov, but have no problem connecting to any other sites, private of public.

I have the following info:

• WRT54Gv6 wireless with v1.02.08 (Oct 5, 2009) firmware..the latest.
  • 3 devices, desktop, laptop, and iPad......none of which can connect to NOAA or weather.gov
  • Government websites are up when I tried to connect.
  • I've connected to these sites for years, and as recently as yesterday.
  • Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem.

This blows my mind, since the 3 device all have different OS's, browsers, AV software.  The only thing in common in the network is the modem and wireless router.  Why only the two .gov sites cannot connect?

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this weird experience.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Master14

Re: Can't connect to NOAA.gov, but OK on every other site...WRT54Gv6

Have you tried to access those sites directly from the modem (remove your linksys router)? If its working, then try opening Port 443 on your router...

:smileywink:

:smileywink:

Modem-only, still can't get NOAA.gov.

How & why port 443?

Thanks,

jim

dibbler

Port 443 is used for the secured websites.

If you are not able to access these websites even through the modem then I think you need to contact your Internet provider.

Try to ping the website and see if you get replies from the web address.

Thanks... I tried http://www.websitenotworking.com/weather.gov as well as NOAA, and sites are up, and pinging fails.  Regarding ISP, been there done that...COMCAST does not block sites.  Maybe cripple them, but not block.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

jim

gandalf

Have you checked if you are able to access the website when your modem is directly connected to the Modem?

May be you can try to reset your Router and then check if you are able to access that website.

SOLVED....Re: Can't connect to NOAA.gov, but OK on every other site...WRT54Gv6

Faulty COMCAST DNS server....

COMCAST got it fixed!!!

I could not get an intelligent tech support person to escalate NOAA’s response...in fact I was disconnected 3 times.  So I sent the CEO of COMCAST an email with the NOAA concerns attached.  A couple of hours later, I got a high-level tech support rep contacted by corporate,  that walked me through manually reconfiguring the DNS servers to a couple of there old ones.  And whalah...it worked.

Seems the problem was that they installed new DNS servers for my neighborhood last week, and they have DNS to IP translation bugs in them. 

So I got point-forecast again!  I got Beaver Meadows, and other RAWS station data.  Life is good!
Moral of the story, when bottom-up does not work, try top-down.  In spite of the resistance encountered at the lower levels, I'm appreciative that COMCAST corporate was reachable, and responsive.
Cheers,
jim
mrsbloody

Re: SOLVED....Re: Can't connect to NOAA.gov, but OK on every other site...WRT54Gv6

Jim,

Is this Beaver Meadows, NH?  I live off Mt Rd and never have a problem with my wireless yet with the same WRT400N at home and the office, I always have problems on wireless at my office.  I have Comcast both places and cannot get anywehre with the office issues I am having.  Any advice?

JBB

Re: SOLVED....Re: Can't connect to NOAA.gov, but OK on every other site...WRT54Gv6

Not the same.

The new DNS server I spoke of is local, and would not affect you in NH.

If you have trouble escalating an issue at COMCAST, such as I had, you might try the CEO's points of contact listed here.

Good luck,

Jim

mlavoie11

Master 14,

I have the problem where I can connect on a site when my computer is plugged directly into the modem but not when it is on wireless.

Would you be so nice to tell me more about that Port 443?

I wonder if that would not take care of my problem.

Thanks!