Highlighted

Can’t get my Linksys 7300 to connect to internet

I haven’t been on my laptop in months. It worked fine the last time I was on it. I’ve tried everything I know...from restarting the modem and the router and nothing...I even reset the router to its factory settings and started from scratch and still it won’t connect. Although it says it’s connected I can’t get on any websites at all. Can anyone help me please? I’m so desperate at this point I don’t know what to do.

Thanks,
DoeZ

“The unreal is more powerful than the real.
Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it.
Because its only intangible ideas, concepts,
beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. wood rots.
People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a
thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”

Re: Can’t get my Linksys 7300 to connect to internet

@DoeZ0763 Hi there! To sort this one out, please check if you have internet connection directly from the modem. Also, is this true for both wired and wireless networks? Did you meet an error message when you access any websites What is the status of the LED light? Try to connect another handheld device and see if still you can't access the internet. 

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Hi Carl,

Thanks for replying. First off...everything is wireless. My pc upstairs is able to connect as is my iPhone and iPad. The only thing not able to connect is my laptop. When I try to get on Firefox I get a window saying...hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at www.yahoo.com. If that address is correct here are three things you can try...try again later...check internet connection...if you are connected but behind a firewall check that Firefox has permission to access the web. I did all that. Still nothing. What LED light are you talking about? I’m going to take my laptop upstairs and try to connect it to the modem now.

Thanks for confirming. Have you tried a different browser? If not yet, please do so. BTW, on the status bar, does the Wi-Fi icon says "no internet access"? Let's check if you're getting a valid IP address. Follow the steps on this link and send us a screenshot of the result.

Pamela - 21733

Yes I’ve tried every browser I have. As for the status bar...if I’m thinking of what you mean...when I open up the network sharing page...it does say internet connection.

Now as for trying to hook it up to my modem...like I said before...everything is wireless so my modem is hooked up to my routers internet spot...and there isn’t a spot on my modem for me to hook my laptop up to the modem. So I took the extra cord and put it in an extra slot on my router and viola...my laptop now is connected. But I can’t keep it like this.

Got that. By any chance, did you change something on your network settings? If your PC is currently connected wirelessly, try to forget the network. BTW, are you connected to the 2.4 GHz or 5GHz network? Can you access the router's UI?

Pamela - 21733

That’s just it...I keep looking at everything in there and can’t see anything that I’ve changed. I don’t have my pc turned on right now I’m on my iPad with you. My laptop is connected to the 2.4 GHz...BUT...my 5GHz doesn’t want to seem to show its name. If you can understand that. Do you mean can I get into the Linksysmart WiFi page? If so...yes I can sign in and do whatever.

I’m pretty much beat for the day. I’ll check back tomorrow.

Thanks,
DoeZ

Yes, that's what I meant. Seems like your network is working okay, since the issue only occurs in a specific device. Just try to forget the network on your laptop and reconnect. Otherwise, it might have something to do with the Mac Address filtering. Please check if the Mac address of your laptop is listed in this option. The possible reason why your 5 GHz network won't show up on your laptop is it could be a single-band device. To further check on that, click this link. BTW, if the issue persists, please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with these following info:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Router's serial number
- Your ISP

Pamela - 21733

[ Edited ]

1. Make sure the router is powered on and plugged into the modem via eithernet cable, also make sure you're plugged into the the port that says internet just below it.

2. Disconnect power from modem only and reconnect and wait for the modem to reboot.

Some modems require that you reboot them to refresh the assigned mac address to a plugged device This is why it is required to have the router powerd on while doing this. You'll have to do this step every time you change routers or a device plugged directly into the modem.

Report back with results.