Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
FNicodem

Can't get to router configuration Web page

For some reason, I can't bring up the router configuration page (192.168.1.1).  It's always worked in the past.  But today for some reason, when I type in the URL, it hangs and hangs and hangs...  and then just gives me the "Can't access" error message!

The funny thing is -- the router is working just fine.  I can browse, do E-mail, download files, everything.  Wired or wireless.  I just can't get to the router configuration!

I've rebooted the router several times.  What would cause this inability to directly access the router's setup page?
toomanydonuts

Re: Can't get to router configuration Web page

[ Edited ]
The main causes for this are:

1) browser incompatibility:  Try a different browser.  Internet Explorer usually works.

2) JavaScript must be turned on.

3) Some firewalls will block this.  To test this, temporarily turn off your firewall.  If this corrects the problem, then turn your firewall back on, then open a hole in the firewall, to your router.

4) Corrupted router firmware.  Since the rest of your router is working, this is probably not the cause.  However, if no other cause is found, you may need to reflash your firmware.

5)  If your router is the WTR54GS  (note: NOT the WRT54GS)  then your default address is 192.168.16.1

Also, go to "Command Prompt" and type in "ipconfig"  (no quotes), then hit the "Enter" key.   The "Default Gateway" is your router's address. 

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-02-200711:02 PM

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-02-200711:08 PM

FNicodem

OK, since this *has* been working in the past, I know it's not a browser problem (I'm using IE 6.0), or a Java problem, or even a firewall problem.  I've recently flashed the firmware to 4.71.1, which should be current.  But I'd like to try doing it again, just to be sure.

The question here would be: how can I upgrade the firmware, if I can't get to the Configuration screen?  I enter http://192.168.1.1, and my browser just hangs and hangs and hangs and hangs...  I've never had this problem before.
toomanydonuts

If you can ping the router, you can use the tftp.exe program to load the firmware into your router.
FNicodem

Looks like it's OK now.  What I did was to power down the router, then I used the Reset button on the back.  (Held it in for about 10-15 seconds.)  Then I powered it back up, rebooted my laptop, and was able to get to the Configuration page with no problem.

No idea what caused it, but the Reset seemed to work!