Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Brian31714

Can't ping external ip of router

I'm looking to setup a few ip security cameras in my house and would like to monitor from work.  The first thing I did was give the ip camera a static ip on my local LAN 192.168.1.104.  I also forwarded port 9000 to this ip.  I then went to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to look up my external ip address.  I was able to obtain one ip for my router and another for my modem (disconnected router and went direct through modem).

I've since tried to ping my router WAN ip from work numerous times via http://24.x.xxx.xx:9000 and I get timeout errors.  I've tried traceroute and it gets close, but times out the last 3 hops. I've had Comcast on the phone many times trying to resolve and needless to say they weren't able to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian31714

Re: Can't ping external ip of router

One more helpful fact ... I'm using the Linksys E2000 router.

-Brian

Expert
Expert

What is the Internet ip address as shown on the status page of the router?is it the same as on whatsmyip?
Brian31714

Great question - the ip address shown is the same internal ip.  On the status page, under Local Area Network the Router IP Address   is noted as: 192.168.1.1.  On the status page, under Router the Internet IP Address is noted as: 192.168.15.2.  The default gateway is: 192.168.15.1.  I can't find an IP anywhere within the Router Config that looks like an external IP.  Any idea which IP label should be the external ip of the router?

Thanks again,

Brian

Expert
Expert

Your modem is a router. You have chained two routers. Your external IP address is on the modem and your are trying to ping or connect to your modem not the E2000. Any port forwarding on the E2000 is futile as long as there is not a matching forwarding on the modem.

Don't chain routers!
Brian31714

Ok, figured it out!!  There's no issue with the modem ... it a straight pass through (Linksys CM100) as there is no port forwarding, etc for this modem.

Ready for this .... the issue was my Vonage box that sat between my modem and my router. It completely jacked up my ip, response, etc.  All I did was move the Vonage box so that the modem connects directly to my router, and the Vonage box gets a feed from the router's port.  Rebooted everything and I've got a an external ip, that's ping'able now.

I'm kicking myself.

dibbler

Great, IP address you shared with all of us from the status page of your Linksys router, i.e., 192.168.15.X clearly suggests that there is a VONAGe router set up between your Modem and your Linksys Router....

Thats good that now you have re-set up your network as required and removed Vonage router from where it was and now Modem connects to Internet slot of your Linksys router....That sorts it out for sure....