moupaxolu

Can't ping the router (WRT160Nv3) from another router (ATA) connected to the LAN port

Hi. Need help on a steange issue.

I have an ATA router, which was connected to my ISP with fixed IP. I got the WRT160Nv3 router and copied all the IP settings to it and connected my laptop and the ATA to the LAN ports. I also changed the ATA IP config to the LAN range of the WRT.

So now I have:

WRT:

WAN = Static IP from my ISP

LAN  = 192.168.0.1 with DHCP serving .100 to .149 (50 clients)

ATA:

WAN = 192.168.0.10/24 GW 192.168.0.1

LAN = 222.222.222.1 with DHCP serving .100 to .199 (100 clients)

ATA LAN can be ignored, cause it is not being used. A cable goes from the ATA WAN port to WRT LAN. My laptop is connected to WRT LAN via wireless and I got 192.168.0.100 IP. I can navigate the internet and ping the WRT from my laptop (as expected)

Now, here is the issue:

- I cannot ping the ATA from my laptop or from the WRT (it is configured to allow ping)

- I cannot ping the WRT from the ATA.

- the ATA cannot ping the internet.

This behaviour is just like if there was no cable connected to between the ATA and the WRT, but there is. I replaced the cable already. I also changed LAN port in the WRT. If I connect my laptop to the ATA WAN port and assign me an IP in range (192.168.0.11) I can ping and access the ATA normally, so the ATA WAN port is ok.

Please help. There is got to be something on the WRT config that is preventing the ATA from connecting.

Another strange thing: If I set the ATA to dinamic IP, I can see the request for address in the WRT log, and the sesponse is broadcasted, but the ATA never gets the address.

Please advise... I'm out of ideas.

moupaxolu

Re: Can't ping the router (WRT160Nv3) from another router (ATA) connected to the LAN port

Just got another symptom: If I connect m computer via wireless, I cannot ping the ATA (192.168.0.10) but if I connect with cable I can.

dudztgp

Re: Can't ping the router (WRT160Nv3) from another router (ATA) connected to the LAN port

To lessen the complications of cascading routers, here's a checklist. You can either use LAN-LAN connection or Internet-LAN connection.

moupaxolu

I am using the Internet LAn solution, and it is not working. And I want the ATA just to get my ip phone. He is not doing routing at all. So he has to be behind my router.

Any other suggestions?

dudztgp

Have you tried the LAN-LAN connection instead?
moupaxolu

No loic on that... I need the ATA to access the internet in the WAN port... just that. As I said before, the ATA is not working as a router. Problem is that the ATA cannot "see" the router, even when from my computer I can see both...

Corleone

Change Wrt160N ip to 192.168.2.1 and then check.