Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can't restore settings for WRT54G v. 2.2

[ Edited ]

I updated the firmware for my WRT54G v 2.2.  Using the "Guide Me" instructions, I first backed up the settings, then reset the router by pushing the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds.  However when I tried to restore the settings, browsing and opening the code.bin file saved on my desktop, I got the error message "incorrect image file."  Now I have lost my router settings including the name of the network and secure settings.  How do I restore the settings, or if that is not possible how do I manually set up settings?

Thanks,

Sam

Expert

Re: Can't restore settings for WRT54G v. 2.2

[ Edited ]

That is correct.  You can only restore the settings to the same firmware level.  Once you upgraded you can not use the restore settings.  You must now reconfigure the router manually from scratch.  Simply put in your SSID network name and set your security back.  Now go to all your wireless computers and change the paraphrase/password to the new one.

Thanks. Now I'm having trouble manually reconfiguring the router settings. I set a new password and saved it.  Then I renamed the SSID from "admin" to a unique name. At that point my wireless Internet connection fails and I have to reconnect to the newly named SSID.  This is where I have a problem.  I am connected to the new SSID.  However the web configuration screen disappears and when I type in the IP address, http://192.168.1.1, nothing comes up.  I ran an ipconfig/all from the command menu and confirmed that this is indeed the Default Gateway for my machine.  How can I reconnect to the Cisco web configuration page to complete the manual configuration?

Sam

Are you trying to change the wireless settings using a wireless computer?

Connect the computer to Ethernet port 1 on the router.

Press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 30 seconds. Power cycle the router. Open the Internet browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.1 . Log in to the router page. The default password of the router is admin, leave the user name blank.

Go to Wireless tab and change the name of the wireless network. Change the channel to 11. Save the settings.

Go to Wireless security sub tab. Change the Security mode and enter the password for the wireless network. Save the settings.

Now try to connect to the new wireless network using the new password.

Sorry I'm still missing something.  I was trying to change the settings while connected wirelessly, so I connected the computer to port 1 on the router.  I followed all of your instructions however when I tried to connect to the wireless network I got the error message "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network." What am I missing?

Expert

Look for this Icon:

Vho1000-network-center

In the left pane of the Network and Sharing Center is a Manage Wireless Networks link. Clicking it leads to this dialog box:

Remove the previous network and Select Add, just follow the wizard to match the settings you have on the wireless router.

Vho1001-wireless-networks