hanelliot

Can't set up my router..

Hi all, first time poster.
This has been driving me crazy over last 2 hours.

We had 1 laptop and 1 desktop.  We used to have router hooked up to the desktop.
However, due to personal reasons, I'm having router connected directly to my laptop and have desktop use wireless using wireless adaptor.  My laptop will be used as desktop for now till I get a new desktop.

Internet works fine when laptop is connected directly from Cable modem.
However, when I connect router (using EasyLink Connect), network would look for network address, properly find IP address, then go to "Invalid IP address, limited or no connectivity" stage 5 seconds after.

I've tried resetting winsock settings, manually setting IP address (and gateway etc), and using different type of cables, including CAT5 cables.  I've also downloded SP2 link (hotfix) that was found by searching this forum.

What can I do? Router shows red light on "Diag" section, but I don't know what it means.  Router is BEFW11S4 v.3. 

Please help!

Expert
Expert

Re: Can't set up my router..

Read the manual about the red light. You can download the manuals from the Linksys support pages. Try contacting Linksys support. A red lights usually means bigger trouble.
toomanydonuts

First, try to reset your router to factory defaults.  For more information on this, see my previous post at:

If this does not work, then try to reload your firmware using a TFTP program.

If this does not work, your router is dead.
hanelliot

When I ping my router, it shows "destination unreachable" msg and shuts DOS window down immediately.
I'm also hearing weird noise coming from router that I've never heard before, and I saw a tiny smoke coming out of the router. 

I think this router is dead.  It's been 5 years already so it's understandable.. this router is dead, right?
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
I have known several routers that started to smoke.  They all died immediately.
For routers, smoking is universally fatal.
Your router is dead.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 11-19-200611:57 PM

Hi,

Your router is dead since you cant get a reply when you tried to ping the router, red diag light also indicates that there is something wrong with the router..If you cant good replies when you ping the router , it means firmware cant be uploaded on the router, unless you get a reply and upgrade the firmware fix the issue..

Since you dont get good replies, then basically you need to have a new router and it is very unusual that you get a tiny smoke out on the router...
hanelliot

I bought a new router today and it works without any problem.
Old router was definitely dead.

Thanks for the help all!