paulholl

Can you Daisy Chain the WRT54GS?

Hello,

I've recently purchased three LInksys WRT54GS. I've read the FAQ but not seen my exact problem listed.

Can the WRT54GS (the super G version) be Daisy Chained (1 router, 2 as APs with dhcp disabled) and if so which port should link to from router #1, port1 or the "internet" port.

If I use the port marked "internet" than I get great signal strength but a lot of drops. However if I use port1 on each of the routers I'm using as AP's then I get low signal strength but less drops.

Configuration so far:

router-1 (dhcp enabled)
ssid - router1
channel 1
192.168.1.1 /255.255.255.0

router - 2 (dhcp disabled)
ssid - router2
channel 6
192.168.1.2 /255.255.255.0

router -3 (dhcp disabled)
ssid - router3
channel 11
192.168.1.3 /255.255.255.0

thank you for the help!

JB

Re: Can you Daisy Chain the WRT54GS?

Paul,

It appears you have your network setup correctly. 

Make sure you space those routers as far a part as possible. You could be experiencing some interference. Do you need all those APs? Have you thought about disabling one?

On the Setup tab under Advanced Routing did you change the Operating Mode from Gateway to Router on router 2 and 3?
gandalf

Use the local ports on router 2 and router 3 to connect to router 1, don't use internet port on them for anything. Keep wireless network on different channels, as far as possible(like 1, 6, and 11).
mywaza

These answers are incomplete oin their face:

You described the config as:

router -3 (dhcp disabled)
ssid - router3
channel 11
192.168.1.3 /255.255.255.0

which tells nothing about the "WAN and LAN addresses cannot be the same"

The "Local IP" address cannot be the same as the Internet (WAN) address

"Internet Setup" or "Netword Setup"?

It is as if you have never looked at the config screens in this router.

How is your local PC connected to the second router supposed to get the DHCP address when there is no route to the first router? Then, how can you connect to the second router to configure the route? I set a static IP for my PC and I can connect to the second router, but even after setting a route, which cannot have a 0.0.0.0 gateway, cannot ping the first router.

Let's tell the whole story here, the complete configuration. It's a simple expectation to have a second router hard-wired to the first router, and the secod router providing "distant" wireless access to the network.

The whole story folks?
mywaza

Two Cisco/Linksys WRT54G2 devices.

The main problem appears to be this:

When I connect a cable from the internet gatreway router hub port to my laptop, I can connect, configure, and access the internet - as expected.

When I plug that cable into the configured extension router hub port, I get no link light.

Are these not auto-sensing ports?
mywaza

Please note: Although there appear to be several reference returned by search engines on the topic, most of them are the same advice sometimes slightly modified, from the same source, worded in much the same way.

Result: The same incomplete instructions. I would have thought that Cisco/Linksys would have a specific section on "Best-of-breed" configurations using their equipment. I'm sure that there is something that I am overlooking or do not realize the effect of one or more soft-switches.

Can anyone advise or is this forum dead?
richard804

Find the local ip address for your modem.  If it is the same as your Linksys modem do not change it.

Go to router 1 log in and change local IP address to 192.168.2.1.  Set to Automatic Configuration DHCP.  Set Starting IP address to 192.168.2.2.  Set settings to Gateway.

Connect Modem to Router 1 using internet port on Router 1.

Go to router 2 log in and change local IP address to 192.168.3.1.  Set  to
Automatic Configuration DHCP.  Set Starting Ip address to 192.168.3.2.  Set settings to Router.

Connect router 1 port 1 to router 2 Internet port.

Go to router 3 log in and change local IP address to 192.168.4.1  Set to Automatic Configuration DHCP Set Starting IP address to 192.168.4.2.  Set settings to Router

Connect router 2 port 1 to router 3 Internet port.

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada