dmgjoe

Cannot Connect to Wireless Router (WRT54G)

My computer CAN detect my wireless router, but it CANNOT connect to it (secured or unsecured).  I can connect to internet via LAN line, but not thru the wireless router.  I have tried to update its firmware but it failed. 

I have reset the router but it didn't work. I have also exchanged for a new one (same model) but it still didn't work.

I just don't know what to do next, please help me!!

INFO:
My router is WRT54G. 
PC:  Sony Vaio Laptop

Re: Cannot Connect to Wireless Router (WRT54G)

hi there, dmgjoe,

if you tried resetting the router already and have tried changing the wireless router with a different model #, it might be a problem to your laptop..

let me ask, when you try to view available wireless network, what is the error message it's saying?

- no wireless network were found in range?
                        or
- windows cannot configure this wireless network?

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
dmgjoe

Actually, I can see my own wireless connection, but my laptop cannot connect to it.  When I tried to connect, it just goes "connecting..." without giving me any error message. And at the end there was just no internet connection. 

And for your info, my laptop had actually been connected with other people's wireless - by accident - because it says "linksys".

Hope this added info will help.

if that is the case, there might be some wireless security enabled to your router... although, I believe you mentioned in this thread that your laptop will not connect to the router, maybeit be unsecured or secured... but just to be sure can you log to teh router's web-based utility..

1. go to http://192.168.1.1 (do it on a hardwired connection, since you are not yet connected wirelessly)
  2. click wireless TAB
  3. change your wireless network name so you'll be sure that its your own network you're seeing and/or connecting
  4. change channel to channel 11 to lessen wireless interferences... then save the settings
  5. go to wireless security subtab. leave the wireless security mode to disabled first, just to make sure you'll connect to it...
  6. once everything is in place already, connect to it... you should be able to connect..
  7. if not, disable some firewalls and antivirus of your laptop... this might be the cause why you're not connecting... a router has a firewall built in to it.. then try connecting again...

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"